PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian quick questions thread

Comments

• He he! I have never tasted tofu, hence my fear. I have heard mixed reports- so possibly have preconceptions!

I have added Stromboli, Bean and veg stew, and stuffed tofu to the veggie index.:D

Going to subscribe to this thread, so I can see when updated - and keep adding regular recipes!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• No, really. What does bacon taste like? :rotfl:

So heres the thing - I'm a vegetarian. I was raised in a vegetarian house and have stuck with it as an adult. Now, I'm a pretty good cook and have kept my house well fed. But how do I navigate bacon recipes? for example, the mac and cheese here looks lush:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/21/student-cooking-recipes

But how on earth do I do it without the bacon? I imagine that it tastes quite strong and salty, so it gives the dish most of its flavour, so would it be bland without? And a quorn substitute (which I wouldn't usually use anyway) certainly isnt going to melt its fat into the pan for me to keep cooking in!

So ladies, what do I do? Sprinkle in a veg oxo cube? Add some salt? Gift me with your wisdom!
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Maybe you could use some smoked cheese of some description?
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    I can't really describe the taste of bacon to you but, as someone who enjoys both meat and veggie dishes I can tell you that those ingredients will make for a lovely meal with or without the bacon. There is plenty of oil/butter so you won't need the bacon fat (which G recommends to drain off anyway) and he mentions seasoning (ie salt and pepper) which you should add to your own taste anyway. Personally I would not change the cheese for smoked cheese, parmesan has its own intense flavour. And certainly don't add an oxo cube!

Just cook it and enjoy! :D

(and don't let the lovely Gordon catch you asking only 'ladies' to better his recipe....)
  • I second that, you need strong flavours... I started buying fresh parmasan and adding it to things... so sometimes I use strong cheese and parmasan....! So put your cheese in the sauce... and parmasan and breadcrumbs as a nice crunchy top!!

Also... Fake bacon... it's quite nice... Quorn is disgusting!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Use Halloumi instead - slice it and fry it in a pan sprayed with oil, leave it to cool then chop up and use instead of bacon.

From a veggie of 26 years; Halliumi is salty enough and of a good texture to replace bacon....and if you buy Pittas Halloumi it is veggie.

Also nice in a butty with ketchup. Yum.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • oh fantastic, I love Halloumi! And you can get veggie Halloumi, which is much easier than finding veggie parmesean.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far, I knew this was the place to come!
  • Fayhere - thanks, that sounds delish. Do you just get the tofu blocks, chop them thin and leave them to soak in regular soy sauce before cooking? That sounds very doable.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy imitations of smoked bacon... Have you tried these?

Otherwise, I would add quorn with smoked paprika for the closed flavour

(i was a vegetarian for a number of years so I know that bacon is bacon! You can't replicate it and bacon is what most converts convert back to as there is nothing like it!!!)
  • No, really. What does bacon taste like? :rotfl:

So heres the thing - I'm a vegetarian. I was raised in a vegetarian house and have stuck with it as an adult. Now, I'm a pretty good cook and have kept my house well fed. But how do I navigate bacon recipes? for example, the mac and cheese here looks lush:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/21/student-cooking-recipes

But how on earth do I do it without the bacon? I imagine that it tastes quite strong and salty, so it gives the dish most of its flavour, so would it be bland without? And a quorn substitute (which I wouldn't usually use anyway) certainly isnt going to melt its fat into the pan for me to keep cooking in!

So ladies, what do I do? Sprinkle in a veg oxo cube? Add some salt? Gift me with your wisdom!

Maccaroni chees has been made for decades without bacon ;) If you're veggie leave it out; I suspect it'll be salty enouhg, and taste just great :D

I'll add this to the main maccaroni cheese thread later to keep recipes together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport