resignation letter for not returning after maternity

I'm trying to write a resignation letter, as my company has *politely* refused my application for part-time hours on return to work from maternity leave.

So far i've got:

I write further to my meeting with ****** on 6th March 2008 and subsequent phone calls with the Human Resources Department.

I am writing to inform you that after my Additional Maternity Leave, which ended on 1st March 2008, and my 3 weeks annual leave, which ends 23rd March 2008, I have decided to resign

Thats were i get stuck!

I want to make it clear that its because of their decision not to honour my request that i'm handing in my notice. Also, i've been told by my HR liason that my regional manager is allowing me to leave without giving any notice so my 'end of employment' date will be 23rd march (the end of my paid holiday) so i need to add this in as well.

Any ideas anyone?? (thanks in advance)

Comments

• tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I write further to my meeting with ****** on 6th March 2008 and subsequent phone calls with the Human Resources Department.

I am writing to inform you that after my Additional Maternity Leave, which ended on 1st March 2008, and my 3 weeks annual leave, which ends 23rd March 2008, I have decided to resign. My last day of employment with ****** will be 23rd March.

As a new mother I feel it extreemly inportant to balance my family and working life but unfortunately as the decsion has been taken to decline my request for part time hours I am faced with little choice.

Please forward my P45 at your earliest convenience after 23rd March to my home address.
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • MummyHol
    MummyHol Posts: 287 Forumite
    thats brilliant, thanks x
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/Pages/default.aspx

Please also give the equality commission a ring. Your employer has a legal duty to give fair consideration to your request. For an employer large enough to have a HR dept, it is difficult to see how they can justify their refusal.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • MummyHol
    unfortunately they can't justify having a deputy manager only working weekends. the main problem being other staff would loose hours to accommodate my request because the store only has a set amount of hours per week (although they pull hours out of thin air when it suits them!) and they would still need a deputy on full time hours for the weekdays (they feel it would be impracticle to employ a deputy for the 3days per week i would be giving up.

Its typical retail i'm afraid- the staff aren't very important because they're easily replaced (although i know they'll be hard pushed to find someone as hard working and loyal as i've been- its their loss!!)

i'll check the link out just incase, thanks LD
  • doom
    doom Posts: 2,828 Forumite
    If your holiday year starts on 1st Jan, would you be entitled to 3 weeks paid holiday so early on in the year, if you are now leaving ??
    CARPE DIEM
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour
  • MummyHol
    our holiday year starts august- anyway its my paid holiday from the previous year (that has to be taken within 3months of return to work which is why i added it onto the end of my mat leave- as well as to give them more time to process my application for less hours). I'll be owed this years (aug 07-july 08) so far in my final pay packet after my notice date.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Would you not have to pay back part of your maternity pay?
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • MummyHol
    My HR dept haven't mentioned anything along these lines- i didn't realise this might be the case in some companies??
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know that some companies if they give enhanced maternity pay then there is usually a minimum length of time that the employee has to return to work for - unless the enhanced element is due to be repaid.

Also some companies won't issue you with a P45 this close to the end of the tax year but will give you a P60 instead - especially if you are paid monthly.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Did you receive SMP or CSP?

SMP does NOT have to be paid back in any circumstances :D
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure