PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fixing a broken zip?

Hiya there,

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is wrong with my zip or if I can fix the zip on my handbag rather replacing it or taking it to the repairs
As i have had this bag for 6 years now and is still going strong minus the zip. (Its one of those bags; the more worned and old it looks, the better!).
Just that whatever way I zip it, I it still does'nt close?

Many Thanx;
Str4berr3

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like the teeth on the zip have come to the end of their natural :( If it really can't be repaired (and I'm no expert on zips) then maybe it's time to let it go to the great handbag in the sky - or even better, recycle it like a true OSer. :D

Erm - soft planter
    place for storing tights
    potato sack
    for placing over head when you want to be invisible (as in "if I can't see them, then they can't see me" :D

Ok - I'll go to bed now.....
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Sounds like the teeth on the zip have come to the end of their natural :( If it really can't be repaired (and I'm no expert on zips) then maybe it's time to let it go to the great handbag in the sky - or even better, recycle it like a true OSer. :D

Erm - soft planter
    place for storing tights
    potato sack
    for placing over head when you want to be invisible (as in "if I can't see them, then they can't see me" :D

Ok - I'll go to bed now.....

Yeh, me too.
    I'll try to read this one again 2mo. ;)

Nite
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Str4berr3 wrote:
    Hiya there,

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is wrong with my zip or if I can fix the zip on my handbag rather replacing it or taking it to the repairs
    As i have had this bag for 6 years now and is still going strong minus the zip. (Its one of those bags; the more worned and old it looks, the better!).
    Just that whatever way I zip it, I it still does'nt close?

Many Thanx;
    Str4berr3

A shoe repairer (cobbler) will replace the zip in your handbag for a small charge. Don't go to a high street chain (like Timpsons) because they'll be more expensive.........a back street cobblers shop will be your cheapest option.

Our local back street cobbler does wonderful repairs on leather shoes and bags. His shop is dusty, dirty and chaotic inside.......but who cares when his work is first class and prices so low.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Thanx for advice, I shall take my bag to the cobblers.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi there

I read some place that if you run a pencil lead over a zip it helps the teeth re-engage, and disengage. Not sure why! As you're going to take it to the cobbler anyway, maybe a run up and down the zip with an ordinary grey graphite pencil might save a few pounds.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Try toothpaste on the zip. I got that tip somewhere (probably here as I spend so much time on this site!) and found it worked. I had brought a brand new pair of Clarkes leather ankle boots for £3.50 in a charity shop.I think they had been put in because one of the zips stuck a little. I tried toothpaste and it nows works great.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We bought my daughters tent from a charity shop .It was £5 for a 2 man ridge tent with an inner fly sheet so a real bargain but the zip was stuck (obviously why it had been given to the charity in the first place)so I ran a candle up and down the teeth and wiggled the zip about up and back a few times and now it is fine.
  • Just returned from a few days camping on Anglesey. When we put the tent up we suddenly remembered we'd had trouble with the zip last year! To cut a long story short we managed to fix it so it was only openable from the top, so we couldn't undo it all the way down, we had to climb in over the bottom bit -a bit treacherous in the middle of the night for the inevitable trip to the loo. Now I want repair the zip ready for next time. I think we may need a new one. It is a canvas, traditional frame tent. I've googled but haven't found it much help. Anyone got any advice either for DIY or a place where they do this cheaply? Thanks in advance.:A
    Weight loss - here we go again - watch this space!

US...........And them............
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    hi suziwozie, :wave:

I know that camping shops repair tents, someone at work snapped one of the rods and the shop said it would thread another through for them, so they might offer to mend it?

hth
    dorry
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    IS the zip broken?
    We bought DD's tent at a charity shop (with a stuck zip)and all it needed was some WD40 sprayed on the zip.
    OR shops that sell upholstery material might have long zips (for settee covers).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure