Selling books online

Comments

• katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I sold some books on webuybooks the other day, sent them yesterday so just waiting to hear back and get my money :)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Just want to bump this thread because i've just started selling some of my books online.

I went to a couple of those mentioned above, fatbrain and zapper, but got really low quotes for a couple of books i used for uni so I decided Amazon would be a better option.

I listed 1 before i ran in to trouble over card details (which i've only just sorted today). Anyhoo that was 2 days ago and I got an email today saying it had sold. It was a Berlin city guide and went for £9.70 incl. postage. That's about £9 more than what fatbrain or zapper were willing to offer.

I'm not saying anyone else is going to sell their books as fast or anything but it's certainly worth a go :)
  • Quite a good idea to make money. As books gives us wisdom. So first to get wisdom by reading the books and than to get money from them, ;)
  • I've just been to the Amazon Trade-In website. I entered the ISBN for a couple of books and they were not recognised. I actually bought these books from Amazon itself so I don't understand. Has anyone else had this problem and can you help??
  • Christers wrote: »
    I've just been to the Amazon Trade-In website. I entered the ISBN for a couple of books and they were not recognised. I actually bought these books from Amazon itself so I don't understand. Has anyone else had this problem and can you help??

The number of books that they accept for trade-in is a very small percentage.
    Obviously they pay the postage when you send your books to them, so it has to be worthwhile for them to accept. If there is not a popular demand for a book, chances are they will not require it on their trade-in site.

If you are not able to trade them in to amazon, don't forget you can sell them yourself via the marketplace. On the item page, towards the right hand side where it displays the pricing information there will be a "sell yours here" link, where you can see what other prices people want to sell their copies for and decide if you want to sell a particular book, and for how much.
    It is a relatively straightforward process, though it can take a long time for stuff to sell (sometimes months, if it sells at all), unlike for example eBay, which takes a few days.
  • I sold some fairly heavy text books on ebay. The delivery cost for a £15 sale was around half my earnings. Maybe there are cheaper services out there.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I sold some fairly heavy text books on ebay. The delivery cost for a £15 sale was around half my earnings. Maybe there are cheaper services out there.

I'm obviously missing something here - didn't you figure out what it would cost to post them before putting them on eBay?

As in - weigh them, then go to Royal Mail website, and look up the postage cost for that weight. Armed with that figure, put it in the postage cost on the eBay auction.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    googler wrote: »
    I'm obviously missing something here - didn't you figure out what it would cost to post them before putting them on eBay?

As in - weigh them, then go to Royal Mail website, and look up the postage cost for that weight. Armed with that figure, put it in the postage cost on the eBay auction.

Books are in a capped postage category, so yes sellers need to know their costs before listing but may need to add it to start price if postage allowance does not cover shiping costs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi,
    I have been given a project by my dad to try and sell my grandads old military history books. Now when i say books i mean a significant number..... my nan wrote the titles and authors in a pad and there are in excess of 300 books. I am slowly adding these to an spreadsheet so we have a better way of seeing these. I was wondering where anyone could recommend us trying to sell these short of listing these individually on ebay. I have done some initial searches on ebay around the value of some of these book and they range between a couple of quid to £20....
    If anyone has any idea let me know :)
    Thanks
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    anderson27 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been given a project by my dad to try and sell my grandads old military history books. Now when i say books i mean a significant number..... my nan wrote the titles and authors in a pad and there are in excess of 300 books. I am slowly adding these to an spreadsheet so we have a better way of seeing these. I was wondering where anyone could recommend us trying to sell these short of listing these individually on ebay. I have done some initial searches on ebay around the value of some of these book and they range between a couple of quid to £20....
    If anyone has any idea let me know :)
    Thanks

I think this thread covers most of the good ideas.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure