Where's the best place to exchange £ to Euro?

2»

Comments

• as it's become traditional on this question and no ones done it yet ......i find the post office very reasonable when i change money when i'm going abroad
  • please don't take my advice in the above post
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LOL, hammy.

The Post Office are NOT best value and I can't understand why people are so taken in by their advertising.

They are almost always worse value than M&S, for example, and M&S has branches pretty near to most people.

The Post Office is not a bad option for people who live in the sticks and can't get to M&S. But it certainly shouldn't be anyone's first choice otherwise.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    We're talking about Euros, Crabman, so I don't think $2.01 will be very helpful. ;)

dmg24 - Travelex is all very well, but most credit/debit card holders will get charged a cash advance fee. Switch (Maestro) cardholders are OK and some Visa debit cards, but not the majority. I've stopped using them for this reason.

Martin's Travel Money Maximiser is also flawed for this reason - as I've said ages ago on the relevant thread.

Thomas Exchange Global is also pretty useless to anyone who doesn't frequent the West End of London, as they only have branches there.You email them-they send out the money the next day.

In fact, the best buy on Martin's Travel Money Maximiser which actually allows you to collect all over the country, and doesn't have the debit/credit card fee problem, is Marks & Spencers.

Re-Thomas Exchange global-they charge £5 for delivery. Even paying this we have saved money. You join them by faxing them id-its very quick. It doesnt seem to mention about delivery on MSE or their site ,for some strange reason. If a couple of friends are going on holiday at the same time,why not split the delivery charge and save even more.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Still have the debit/credit card charge problem, though, hollydays.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You pay them by bank transfer.
  • Ety
    Ety Posts: 517 Forumite
    Be careful using credit cards abroad - they are now charging a commission rate. Mine is 3%. I know it's not a lot but could mount up if you were not aware!

Debit cards also charge a handling fee of usually 2%.

Hope this helps,

Etyx
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    hotblu wrote: »
    Also, I heard that if you convert a large amount in one go you get a better rate... is this true or is someone winding me up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hotblu

Not true at most 'company-run' places (the staff won't be authorised to shift from the official rates) but an independent BdeC will often be prepared to come to a deal.
  • MarkyMarkD
    hollydays wrote: »
    You pay them by bank transfer.
    Thanks for that. It all reinforces why the Money Maximiser is a bit useless and needs to have options for payment method etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure