Total tax, Class 4 NIC and Student loan due...HELP!

Apologies if this is the wrong area but I am desperately seeking some assistance.

Me: NOT self employed, have NEVER been to university and as such do NOT have a student loan.

I have had to complete the self assessment online return for a few years now thanks to a mistake by an old employer which I have always completed without any problems.

I have just completed my return this year and under 'View Your Calculation' it states 'Total tax, Class 4 NIC and Student loan due for 2010-11' and a sum of around £3,500. Payment due by 31st Jan is over £5,000!!

The only thing different I completed this year was that I had to list two employers as i switched jobs half way through the previous year. I completed the sums of money from each company but can't see how this would be related?!

As I said, I have NEVER been to university and DO NOT have a student loan so how has this sum been calculated? I'm hoping there is a mistake somewhere!!!

Can anyone suggest what is going on?

Thanks

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2012 at 12:09AM
    You need to post the detail from the calculation? And your P60 data (also p45 if there's no 'previous employment' on the P60) as regards Pay / Tax / Code.

Can't just guess at it.

The 'Student Loan' aspect is just a generic part of the Total line? If there's no separate specific calc for SLC. Which would only happen if you'd ticked the SLC due box. Same applies to the 'Class 4' .... not applicable if you're purely PAYE and have completed only the employed pages.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure