PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

Can anyone advise on the best way to remove mould from bathroom sealant or is it better to remove it and re-apply a new seal?

I have tried neat bleach & mildew removal spray which only slightly reduce the mould.

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have feeling that once it is in thesealant you can't get it out.

As I had the same problem in my old place. When the we had a replacement suite they use the plastic tile strips and that put paid to the mould problem.

Can you not dig it out and put fresh in.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think if it is in really deep it won't come out but if it is fairly mild it will - I got rid of mould in my shower tile-grouting using a toothbrush and some bathroom cleaner (I think I used the "it really works..." Bath Power (the one with the irritating advert last year!) and a lot of scrubbing. Try any good cleaner though, but definately with a toothbrush - its just the right size to clean the grout and not just the tile next to it!
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    we've found cut mouldy sealant out with stanley knife and apply new stuff is only way.
    -
    blue-kat
  • You can mix 1 part of Vinegar (try to use white vinegar) with 2 parts of water and clean the shower with that. After a few times the mould will be gone.....
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    When cleaning one of my many student flats for the deposit return inspection I found that an old toothbrush and neat bleach did the trick - I think it possibly rots the sealent eventually but should be ok if you rinse it off well.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • itgirlinuk
    itgirlinuk Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can mix 1 part of Vinegar (try to use white vinegar) with 2 parts of water and clean the shower with that. After a few times the mould will be gone.....

Can I do the same for the mildew (not sure if its fungus or anyother such thing) on the window sealant? My window near the basin has mildew on the sealant and I have just tried a weak toilet bleach and it does not come off. I am going to try the vinegar. But will the vinegar work?
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • I got mouldy sealant but after all the srubbing the thing is now hanging off! Does all sealant do that or is it just a bad sealant I got?
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    The best sealant to get is Tremco Tremsil 600 its for outside sealing
    around UPVC frames for the glazing community and its UV resistent
    and low modulus(contains no acetate) so wont stink the place out.
  • I'm sure I've seen this question before, so please direct me/move if neccessary.

I have black mould on the silicone edging of my bath and because I have gold type fittings I cannot use bleach to get rid of it.

Any help on how to remove it would be great.

Thanks.
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Hi

The mega index cleaning section has advice, it might not be specific to you but I'm sure you could adapt it to suit?
    You can also have a look at THIS under bathrooms and post 5 to see if it helps.

a_b
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport