Minimum amount the government says I can live on?

2»

Comments

• hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on
  • marybelle01
    marybelle01 Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    adams1968 wrote: »
    hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on

You will have your benefits reduced by an amount depending on how many spare rooms you now have, and no, you won't get more money in other benefits to make up the shortfall. You will have to make choices about whether you are willing to make the extra payments yourself or move to a smaller property.
  • Morlock
    Morlock Posts: 3,265 Forumite
    will the amount to get increase to cover it

No, you will have to make up the shortfall in rent out of any benefits/income that you receive. The idea being that you have to move to a smaller property, even if it is more expensive to rent.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hi can anyone help it is being brought in from april 2013 if you are on houseing benfits and you are living at home on your own as the children have grown up and left you will be taxed on the spare rooms you have and will have to pay out of your benfits , will the amount to get increase to cover it as they say this is the amount the goverment say you get to live on

This is for working age tenants in social housing - council and housing association. The aim is to reduce the HB bill and reduce the significant under occupation in the sector.

It's been nicknamed 'the bedroom tax' (not very accurate description but if you google the term, you will uncover the info).

Benefits will not be increased - a household with one empty room will lose around 14% of their housing benefit, more for two.

If you are a housing association tenant, what age are you, how many empty bedrooms do you have and what is your rent?
  • shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite

Okay.
    I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
    Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
    Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved £ 151.65 weekly
    After payment restart I have received £245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was £151.65 a week.

The day after
    It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
    is now £ 122.80

Now thats magic!

You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx £113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than £122.80pw..........
  • shedboy94 wrote: »
    You appear to be forgetting to mention the CTC you will presumably be receiving which will be an additional approx £113pw, plus child benefit also, so you will have considerably more than £122.80pw..........

How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    form wrote: »
    I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last £10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
    How do I feed my children? HELP??

From the £140 a week Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit you get.
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    How can you make a comment like that on a post where the user has provided no information on their circumstances and has only ever made one post since their registration?!

Quite easy. She asked how is she going to feed her two children. So she has two children and therefore will get just over £140 a week total from Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit.
  • shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2012 at 6:31PM

I misread the post, I thought it was by the person that asked how they can feed their 2 children. Anyhoo, I've answered the question, I just quoted the wrong post.....
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wulfhere wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in the midst of an administration mess with the housing benefit people - long story. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the minimum amount is that the government says that I can live on? Thanks.

I had a crisis loan to cover 2 weeks and was told the amount was what the government said I needed to live on which was £85, this included some money for a gas meter, if I was on an electric meter too I could have claimed a bit more, so I guess the figure is around £45 a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure