PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wanted: Idiot guide to making curtains

Options

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I made my own curtains, and they looked great! The only annoying bit was I sewed most of it by hand, as I didn't want the seams to show. And at one point Eccles was "helping" me, and he managed to unpick a whole seam before I noticed!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Hello,

I made some for my spare room in an afternoon when we had some unexpected guests staying in our new house, and didn't have any curtains for their (overlooked) bedroom.

Measure the width of the window or above the window, wherever you want to hang them from and double it. Measure the length you want your curtains to be and add about 6 inches for hems to be safe. Get a square of fabric that size, cut it in half for 2 curtains and hem them all the way round.

Get one of those curtain poles from B&Q, Argos etc, or to be really moneysaving, you could even use a length of bamboo pole, broom handle or dowelling maybe sprayed gold or to match your room. Then fold the top of the curtain back over and sew, so you make a "tube" at the top of your curtain, big enough to push your pole through. Then hang your curtains! To make it even easier, instead of hemming the sides and bottom, use Wondaweb or some kind of iron-on hemming material.

If you can, try not to cut the material if possible. This means that you'll be able to take the hems apart the next time you move or want to change them to a different room.

HTH
  • carpool72
    carpool72 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, have used downsized's method to make a quick blind - just added 2 lengths of ribbon to tie it up, and for even less sewing I attached them with little safety pins. I've made several pairs of curtains this year (it's getting addictive!) and my all time favourite no-mess way of hanging them is to sew a load of ribbons on as tabs. It saves you making the tabs, looks really prettyand hangs over any old pole rather than curtain track.
    £2 savers club - £62

Relaunched grocery challenge:

March target: £150 on food, £50 on other stuff - still not doing very well at keeping track...:o

:hello:
  • nbt
    nbt Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs. NBT here,professional curtain maker. Tabs are easier , but you can buy clips, kind of like bulldog clips: they go onto the top of the curtain and then a hook attachment slips into the small rings on your pole.

For tabs make sure the pole goes a lot higher then the actual window, if the tabs are say 10cm, you won't want the top of the curtain bit falling below the window, letting in light, so make sure your pole is high enough. This means you'll need to account for the extra drop so the curtains aren't too short! Also, make sure the pole is at least 10cm wider than the sides of your window, to stop light leaking inthe sides. I hope you can follow all this.

Tab topped curtains only need 1.5 times fullness, and be aware when they draw back in daylight the tabs hit each other and can end up taking up light. Again, you can account for this by making sure the pole is a lot wider than your window.

Now for the making. Start hem first. put on a double hem e.g. fold up 9cm, iron in the fold as well as you can, then turn up another 10cms and iron again. Either hand sew (if you have the time) or machine. I allow 30cms for hems and headings.

Now cut the lining to the same size, either make them detatchable or to make it easier, bag line them. To do this, you're essentially going to make the curtains inside out: put the outside face of the lining against the outside face of the curtain material, i.e. "right sides" together, and machine down the sides. At this point, fold back one side of the resulting seam and iron so the two sides lie flat. Now turn through so the ouside are showing and your seams are hidden. Again, iron the curtain.

at this point your two sides are closed, but the top is still open. The bottom of the curtain has a hem and the lining is not attached at the bottom.

Now fold down about an inch at the top of the curtain / lining to give yourself a hem, and make sure the top is straight. This fold should be to the back so it doesn;t show: it's easier to work with the curtains face down here.

Now you need to measure from the bottom hem upwards to find an consistent point to add the tabs (this ensures the curtain hangs straight). Take the tabs you've previously made (blue peter style) and lay them in place, leaving about 15 cm gaps between each tab. sew the tabs onto the folded hem (you can do this by hand so your stiches don't show on the front of the curtain, but machining is quicker and easier)

Now turn the curtain over again and machine sew all the way along the header to hold the lining and the curtain material together, and give a bit of extra support for the tabs

now go hang them - but that's another job in itself as Mr NBT will testify!
    NBT : Notoriously Bad Typist
  • stellagypsy
    stellagypsy Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Ikea have a decent choice of fabric and also cheap BIG curtains that you can buy and alter. I agree with Luis about Dunelms - if you have one of these stores near you it is always worth a look before you commit yourself to making the curtains as they have some really good buys.

Stella xx
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    just finished making floor-length lined curtaind from a gorgeous suedette material, i use the above bag method to line them ie sewing lining to curtain down both sides and then turning inside out,
    just wanted to add that your lining needs to be 4 inches less in width than the curtain material so that when turned right way out it will pull some of the main material on to the lining side and create a neat finish, I also hem the lining first, make sure the lining is 2 inches shorter than curtain material and leave the bottom inch of lining now sewn to the main material, so at the end you can tuck in and neaten
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought some fabric to try making my own curtains. Bought the fabric, plus lining, plus heading tape. Is this all I need (aside from thread to sew it of course)?

Is it as simple as sewing the lining to the fabric at the sides, hemming top and bottom, and sewing on the heading tape at the top? I'm planning on doing floor length curtains so hopefully measuring and proportions shouldn't be a problem, and as my windows are very narrow (only about a metre wide) presumably I don't need to worry about making the curtains more than one width of material wide?

Any tips much appreciated, as having got the material I don't want to waste it by making really amateurish looking curtains.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nicki.

I'm a non sewer myself but this site's instructions look pretty easy to follow.
  • nanamags
    nanamags Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I always hem the sides and bottom of the curtain fabric and lining seperately. Then place wrong side to wrong side fold over the top of the curtain fabric and attach the heading tape. You can hand stitch the lining to the curtain fabric in places down the sides. I find that this makes them hang better.

HTH
    :hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:
  • icandream
    icandream Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    Would appreciate some moneysaving advice.
    DH just finished putting up new curtain rail in dd2's bedroom, which we unearthed in our recent decluter. Then said 'so when are you going to make the curtains?!'
    [We also unearthed some gorgeous curtain fabric and lining I bought a long long time ago, when I was young enough to feel confident about tackling unknown things :rotfl:.] So far so good.

However, I have never made curtains. Never. I've googled making tab top curtains, as I can imagine they should be the easiest, but the instructions I've found assume a lot of prior knowledge. :eek:

We could do with saving the money of buying curtains, as we have some fairly major bills coming up, and it seems a shame not to use what we have in the house. But I haven't a clue. Is it fairly easy? Has anybody else tackled curtains before having not done it and found they managed it. Just need a bit of shove, I think, to feel I can tackle such a scary job.
    Thanks.

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family