Vauxhall Combo 1.7 diesel wont start

Options
2»

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Question, why did you change the starter?
  • skiddlydiddly
    skiddlydiddly Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean me Mikey?If so, I changed the whole lot as I just banged one on from a scrapyard and it worked fine.
  • mikey72
    Options
    Do you mean me Mikey?If so, I changed the whole lot as I just banged one on from a scrapyard and it worked fine.

No sorry, I meant the op.
    Either the problems started when he changed the starter, or there was a problem starting which made him change the starter.
  • Chellebates
    Options
    Hi
    Yes the van wont even turn over.

I changed the original starter motor as the armiture got stuck in the fly wheel and van wouldn't start. So it was knackered. Put a new one in and it started fine to begin with, but then started to have intermittent starting problems as described above. So have had starting problems with both the old and new starter motor.
  • mikey72
    Options
    Hi
    Yes the van wont even turn over.

I changed the original starter motor as the armiture got stuck in the fly wheel and van wouldn't start. So it was knackered. Put a new one in and it started fine to begin with, but then started to have intermittent starting problems as described above. So have had starting problems with both the old and new starter motor.

Didn't damage the starter ring did it?
    If it chewed it up, the new starter could be prevented from engaging.
    Otherwise, does the car light up, and just not turn over, or is it totally dead.
    Does the starter solenoid click, or is that dead.
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Will it bump-start?
  • Chellebates
    Options
    Yes it will bump start.
    Yes the lights are fine..all nice and bright. But the blower doesn't come on.
    Sometimes there is a click sometimes not.
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Auto electrician.
  • Chellebates
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, had someone look at the van today. The problem turned out to be that the contacts in the ignition switch had worked loose. Installed another new ignition switch, and van started straight away. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure