'Stopcock tips – can you find yours?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    "As I already don’t participate in Xmas, I mark Xmas Day each year to test ALL stopcocks and tap connections within the house."

Probably the worst day of the year to do such testing.

If something starts to leak, you'll be extremely lucky to find any plumber willing come out, and any that do will charge an arm & a leg (over and above the usual arm & a leg they'll charge anyway).

If you think you know it all and can fix a leak yourself, be aware that even the DIY shops will be shut so you can't even get yourself a replacement valve, piece of new pipe, washer, etc.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 9:21AM
    Stopcocks should be turned a couple of times a year to minimise ‘seizing’ due to scale. And NEVER open fully, or they’re more likely to jam."
    Don’t just locate it, check that it still turns – mine required use of pliers to get it moving."

Modern stopcocks are a large on/off switch sited on the incoming main water supply -
    DO NOT TURN IT.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am shocked and appalled at all this talk of Stopcocks, which is of course disgusting. What ever next Ballcocks?;)
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Under a little flap at the top of the driveway.

Internal one behind the washing machine.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    It shouldn't surprise me that people don't know where their stopcock is. When you first move into a property it should be one of the first things you do.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • minijem
    minijem Posts: 10 Forumite
    Yes, stopcock is indeed the correct word. I was very annoyed when my water company recently sent me some literature referring to my "stop tap". A tap, FGS, is where the water comes out of the system.

The same water company, in a leaflet about water meters, told me that a hose pipe with nothing on the end would deliver 1,000 litres per hour whereas a hose pipe with a sprinkler attached would magically deliver 2,000 litres per hour!
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,113
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have a water meter ( inside or outside), then a stop tap will be nearby. It way be a small slot that is turned with a screwdriver.

Is it just northerners that have cellars? If you have a cellar you can bet its in there.

I'm a plumber and call it a stop tap, its less embarrassing this way, especially if you need to find a bleed nipple too

Minijem, if what you say is correct then a float operated valve on a WC should be called a ball tap and not a ball !!!!, as water comes from it? What about a drain off !!!! used for draining off water?( for clarification , I mean on a heating system not on a human)
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • tasty_snacks
    tasty_snacks Posts: 227
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Heads up - the Thames Water video link in the article doesn't work.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bit of a stopcock up then, mind you the thread is over 6 months old.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure