PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

PE/Shoe Bag patterns

Good Morning all, I hope you are all well and enjoying half term so far.

I have quite a few young nieces and nephews and friends with young children so thought I could make them personalised PE/shoe bags for their birthdays this year.

In the past I have done Santa Sacks with pillow cases but of course they did not need a pattern.

Do any of you nice OSers know of any free good PE/shoe bag patterns that I could access on the internet - I really want to make them lined, and different shapes or something that makes them look really individual and expensive (although of course I will be looking for remnants to make them with!)

All help gratefully received.
Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)

Comments

• Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is the nearest I could find.

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/Travel-Shoe-bags.pdf

Good luck x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Use an easily identifiable fabric and then embroider their name on it as big as you can. As a primary school teacher one of my biggest headaches is when there are 35 identical pe bags and then someone puts their one back on the wrong peg. :o The wrong bag then gets taken home leading to 'lost' pe kits.

Keep it simple but try to avoid what everyone else has and your nephews and nieces will love you for it. BTW my children used their home made PE bags all through their school career.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Forgot to say use the first pattern on Bambywamby's site
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jrrowleyws wrote:
    Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.

It is many many years since I did something "off the top of my head" and whilst I can probably work without a pattern, I would prefer for my first couple to have that safety net of a pattern so that I do not waste any material. And a zip!! Well, I have not put a zip in anything for about a million years so will have to stick to the drawstring idea!

I would hate to do this in order to make fab and cheap pressies only to find that I end up with a false economy or naff pe bags!!

Thank you everyone for your help, will hunt for some suitable material over the next few days and will let you know how I get on.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.

Thats exactly what I did aswell. I made two in about half an hour and I am useless at sewing so it cant be that hard.
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    I made ours the same way, using a plain fabric, but we used fabric paint to personalise them with their name and other embellishments.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Hi Hypno06, great idea.

Might be as well to check if any of the children's schools specify a regulation colour.
    You could possibly put a strip of contrasting fabric on those, just to make them personal. :confused:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure