Has anyone got experience with chimney balloons?

I currently prevent the draught using a 99p shop bargainous Barbie beach ball.....but......its giving up the ghost and falls out almost daily even with continual pumping.

Has anyone used these chimney balloons i've seen on the net - do they work? and are they worth the GBP 20 odd they cost or should i just get another beach ball and keep making do (false economy??) :confused:

Also having measured my chimney its 11 x 10 inches - slightly odd than the general balloon size - should i go bigger or get a custom made one??

thanks for your help in advance.....
"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• cally1_2
    cally1_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Just lightly scrunch up some old newspaper. Works for us
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I take it you are doing it to stop the draught? Just shove a load of newspaper up there. Or block it up with plaster board. You want a little bit of air flow anyway to keep the chimney damp free.
  • chloecc
    chloecc Posts: 239 Forumite
    newspaper would just fall down again, its to stop the draught, retain the heat of the room and stop bird poop coming into my lounge....(nice!)
    "He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I guess a chimney balloon is probably a better shape, a round ball in a quare or rectangular flue isn't going to fill the corners. Are chimney balloons shaped?
  • Buy a wine box, drink the wine then take out the silver bag deflate, then put it up the chimney and inflate it.
  • We have had newspaper up the chimney in our rented home and its never fallen out! We scrunshed it all up and wrapped in sellotape and squished it about to fit! It solved the problem and its been in there over 2 years now.
  • sharkie
    sharkie Posts: 624 Forumite
    I'd use a Barbie beach ball, or similar. Flatten it by removing as much air as possible then fill it with expanding foam.

I am no expert and is probably wrong, but that is what I'd do. However the silver wine bag method sounds a lot more enjoyable, but perhaps a bit too thin and may not handle the pressure of the expanding foam as well????
  • janjul
    janjul Posts: 29
    Forumite
    We put some loft insulation up there and it seems to work a treat. Take it out in Summer to air chimney and get a bit of cooler air in the room if your lucky. Works for us but again don't know if this is wrong but we don't have any damp issues and live in a 104 year old Victorian semi.
  • I second the loft insulation idea, did that on both my chimenys and it works a treat :)
  • jstallan
    jstallan Posts: 326
    Forumite
    Pillow in a dusting bin bag works for us. I looked long and hard at the chimney ballon options and ended up going for the bag and pillow option. Very pleased with the MSE option!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure