Am i entitled to compensation from Tesco ?

Comments

• Fancy using a taxi costing £10 to return to the store :confused: I couldn't afford that sort of expenditure & would have just chalked the incident down to experience & chucked the pie, thankful that I hadn't eaten the object.

What I would have done is retain the packaging & written to the manufacturer enclosing the packaging. If I'd been sent a £5 voucher, which has happened to me in the past after finding a staple in a bag of salad, I'd have been perfectly happy.

Accidents happen in food processing, as they do in life & it isn't all about how much compensation you can squeeze out of somebody when a glitch happens. Nobody asked you to take a taxi, so the responsibilty for the taxi fare is yours alone
    Yes i,m glad i didn,t eat the product which wasn,t just a pie and i already binned one of their products in the past : my you must be very well off if you can afford to just bin products time and again but i,m not so well off as you and can,t afford to .Other customers have had objects found in their food too as i was told by staff and it isn,t acceptable that food products are not checked throughly by these supermarket giants!!!!!!!!! As for why i have to use taxis ,please read my post!!!!
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    You are quite entitled to return this to Tesco but I usually find in these kind of circumstances it best and easiest to deal direct with the manufacturer. They have contact details on the packaging and you deal directly with someone who knows exactly how to handle these type of problems. They would have told you exactly what to do, maybe sent you out prepaid packaging to return the item and would have sent you MOC's or maybe a cheque. You wouldn't be out of pocket then. £5 is generous compensation for this event as no harm was done the cost of returning the item to store is what has made this a poor deal for you. I think this could have been avoided somehow. I think you should let it go and stop shopping at Tesco if Tesco have caused you other problems. However I don't think any other supermarket would have deal with this any differently.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    Trouble is, it was Tesco's own brand (see earlier posts.)
  • sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    I presume the product cost less than £10. So not worth paying for the taxi in order to return it.

You could have posted the product back to the store. To make the trip specially to return the product seems a bit silly to me. Did you explain that to them? Why not wait till you next needed to shop there?

£5 compensation is plenty imo.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think you've handled the whole thing badly to be honest. Firstly the item doesn't strike me as being very expensive and spending ten pounds on a taxi to take i back to the store was excessive. I am sure you could have just put the item in a tuppaware container in a box and taken the item to tesco next time you were going there. If you have bought the item alot i am sure it could have waited till next time you visited tesco on you scheduled shop as it sounds like you shop there often. I don't think you deserve more than that as these things happen and its not like its caused a massive crisis! Millions of these meals are made I imagine so they can't check every single one, its mass produced food and to be honest if you are going to buy this sort of food theres always the alien element that can get into it. Theres no defence for it and Tesco have rightly refunded the item and given you a £5 gift card. You obviously expected to receive a large sum of money for this which i don't really understand why? I suspect if you write a letter to Tesco head office they will refund you the ten pound taxi fare but i think thats all you will get.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    had you fired a letter off to tesco you would have most likely got the £5 back anyway
    if they required the item then i would have bunged it in the freezer until my next shop
    even with my car i wouldnt have made a special journey
  • Firstly ,i am not looking for loads of compensation as some of you appear to be implying : merely my costs reimbursed which i think is only fair in the circumstances .
    Secondly , as i have to keep repeating , their head office INSISTED the product be returned IMMEDIATELY not next time ,not in a frozen state and NOT by post . THe meal wasn,t a cheap value product ,yes it wasn,t one of their finer ranges but the cost shouldn,t imply that less care is taken producing a food item .
    Thirdly , the next nearest supermarket to me ,Morrison,s is even further away hence i use Tesco or my local shop which is really very ,very expensive . Tesco have went back on their assurance that they would tell me what the object is exactly ( perhaps some of you would think differently as to the nature of the product if you actually seen it!!!) .
    To have staff think finding ANY kind of foreign body in a food product is "funny" /amusing is just not acceptable : as a former employee of the hotel and catering industry ,i,ve seen many foreign bodies found in customers food ,some of whom were regulars who placed such in their meals just to get a free meal ,bottle of wine ,etc but it was not my place to question this and i don,t appreciate ,when i,ve asked a simple question ,to be ridiculed and accused of being some type of free loader.!! I carried out THEIR /Tesco,s instructions ,including a letter with a photograph of said product as well as returning it on THEIR,Tesco,s instructions so do not accuse me of doing anything wrong : i,m sure those of you who are the first to condemn are the first to complain!!
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    who cares what head office said?
    did you get them to confirm they would pay you travelling costs,no
    so why put yourself out over a readymeal?
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Did you tell Tesco you would have to take a Taxi when they insisted on immediate return of product? If so I think you should be entitled to the taxi fare costs. However if it were me I would have made sure they were going to pay these costs before I returned the item at my own cost.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Did you tell Tesco you would have to take a Taxi when they insisted on immediate return of product? If so I think you should be entitled to the taxi fare costs. However if it were me I would have made sure they were going to pay these costs before I returned the item at my own cost.

Yes i told them on the phone that i would have to use a taxi and asked then about my being reimbursed which i was told i would have to write in for and include the taxi receipt hence i did everything by their book ,so to speak.
    I,ve been here before ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport