Advise for a problem with my Vauxhall Zafira.

comping_cat
comping_cat Posts: 24,006
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
Forumite
While we were out yesterday, the steering on my Zafira suddenly 'tightened' and it was very difficult to turn - not sure if it is a problem with the steering wheel or the wheels. We stopped at Tesco (it took me a while to reverse into the parking space as the wheels/steering wheel made it very difficult to turn) and when we re set out home, at first the wheel was back to normal, but within a minute or so, it had stiffened up again.

Now as someone who knows nothing about cars, im just looking to see if anyone can tell me what they think the problem is, and how much it should cost to put right. Then, when i ring the garage tomorrow, i have some idea as to what to say and what to expect. i always worry as a woman on my own, with a very obvious 'i havnt got a clue about cars' that i could be ripped off (local Vauxhall dealer tried it before, changing my tyres and charging me without even asking - luckily i know a really good local family tyre firm so knew i was being overcharged - the problem my car has at the moment, i wouldnt have a clue!!!)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sounds like the power steering rack is kaput. But then without seeing the car it could be as simple as the drive belt which is slipping. What model and reg is your Zafira?
    The man without a signature.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Low power steering fluid. You do check it don't you? If you've checked that and it's OK then loose power steering pump belt is next. After that, faulty pump or faulty rack.
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Sounds like the power steering rack is kaput. But then without seeing the car it could be as simple as the drive belt which is slipping. What model and reg is your Zafira?

Its a year 2000 W reg, 1.6, 5 door Comfort (i think thats right!)
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    Low power steering fluid. You do check it don't you? If you've checked that and it's OK then loose power steering pump belt is next. After that, faulty pump or faulty rack.

No, afraid i wouldnt know how to check that (im a bit pathetic, im pleased that i know how to check and refill my oil, but thats about it)

The car has just passed its MOT (September) would they have checked it then? Or would that be a service job (due in Feb)
  • No they wouldn't and yes it should be checked at a service but it's also the drivers' responsibility to check levels, engine oil, water, brake/clutch fluid, power steering fluid, tyre condition/pressures etc., on a regular basis
    Reference to the vehicle's handbook should reveal where all these various things are.
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    No they wouldn't and yes it should be checked at a service but it's also the drivers' responsibility to check levels, engine oil, water, brake/clutch fluid, power steering fluid, tyre condition/pressures etc., on a regular basis
    Reference to the vehicle's handbook should reveal where all these various things are.

Oil, water and tyres i can do (and do)- have never checked the brake fluid or power steering fluid, so will have a look in the book this afternoon. Hopefully it will just be that and nothing too serious.
  • ha - I probably know a bit more about car engines than the majority of car owners, but I wouldn't have a clue about the current state of my power steering fluid levels - it never moves so I never look at it - its not like oil which burns off over time, it just stays there (same with brake and clutch fluid). Which suggests there probably is a fault with the power steering motor
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    catowen wrote: »
    Hopefully it will just be that and nothing too serious.

Well, even if it is " just that ", the fluid will be leaking from somewhere, so it will still require attention.
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    dillydilly wrote: »
    ha - I probably know a bit more about car engines than the majority of car owners, but I wouldn't have a clue about the current state of my power steering fluid levels - it never moves so I never look at it - its not like oil which burns off over time, it just stays there (same with brake and clutch fluid). Which suggests there probably is a fault with the power steering motor

If it is the power steering motor - how much would you expect it to cost?
  • I've just checked the 2007 version of the Zafira handbook on Vx website (there's no other version there), to their shame and with my apologies to you, there is no mention of where and how to check the electro-hydraulic steering reservoir. Unless it's well hidden away somewhere in the book? I suspect they want you to trot off to a main dealers for them to top up the fluid at an inflated price?
    Hopefully it is just a low fluid level, if so it's gone somewhere! At 8 years old it's possible though that something more expensive is amiss.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure