Anyone got a fish smell??

I thought i'd be helpful as i posted a question. If you have a fish smell in your house & cant work out where it is coming from why not check out your lights and faulty wiring somewhere!! A loose connection can cauuse a fishy smell as we discovered..its handy having an electrician husband!

Comments

• robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You got me thinking now :think:

We have a fishy smell in our lounge from time to time...it comes from around the doorway as you enter the room...near the lightswitch.

and.......I have suspected something wrong with the wiring....our light sometimes flicker...and when they pop........they POP ! :eek:

FILaw wired everything up.(ex-leccy board inspector).....not good wiring :doh:

Will be checking wiring tomorrow.....with trips off !

rob :D
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Yeah the material that switches & sockets are made from does give of a fishy type smell when it starts to get to hot / burn!
  • also tesco lightbulbs give off a fishy smell

honest :D
  • Mandles
    Mandles Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    We believe you..... but a little wash is also recommended!
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my boyfriend had this prob on his upstairs landing, though thankfully we identified the light as the source pretty much straight away. very disgusting smell, thankfully a new light fitting from b&Q sorted it out no probs!
  • Seamus
    Seamus Posts: 88 Forumite
    I had this exact thing last week when I fitted an old 150watt bulb in the bedroom while I decorated. Took me a while to work out what it was.

I remember reading about a woman who stitched prawns into her ex-husbands curtains and it took him months to work out where the stink was coming from.
  • It's the bakelite of the light fitting decomposing under heat.

Bakelite is a nice sounding material - but not so nice when you realise it's a polymer of Urea Formaldehyde - which breaks down under heat into it's constituent chemicals, Urea (as found in wee) and Formaldehyde (as found at the undertakers).

I replaced all my bakelite lampholders with brass ones - not a costly exercise to do, and you never get the fishy/wee smell again and no more problems removing the lampshades because the bakelite collar has been decomposed.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • Some years ago in work I too noticed a fishy smell.

A visitor went straight to the plug where the heater was plugged in and the plug was hot!. He said it was a safety feature built into plugs to warn of bad connections. Now I'm wondering whether it was the plug or the socket. I will say that it was quite a few years ago now but I've never forgotten it.
    There is always light within the dark
  • Yes, we had salmon for tea last night.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We had a fishy smell for months and blamed it on our poor teenage daughter, until smoke started pouring out of the circuit board cupboard. i didn't know circuit breaker boards could 'blow'. now that i'm wiser, i would check out everything electrical before accusing the poor hormone ridden crowd of bad hygeine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure