stop cats crapping in my garden

Hi. Is there anything I can do/use to stop cats from continually crapping in my garden? There are loads in our street and it is a constant problem. I tried anti-animal spray from the garden centre but it's not that effective and it has to be reapplied afer rain (really practical in this country!) - I'd also prefer not to use chemicals if poss. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
I say what I like, I like what I say!

Comments

• Hello - cat crap is horrid. My friend swears by empty pop bottles filled with water dotted about the garden - apparently they don't like them. It seems to work - even her own cat doesn't crap there!! :D
  • I've had a similar problem years ago so I gave them something to remember me by and it works.

Try sprinkling loads of RED Chillie Powder all over the cat walk path/s. Once they try it they will not be returning again.

Good Luck.
    I have learnt that providing excellence gets you what you deserve and not what you want !!!
  • Hi
    This may not be possible for everyone but what about Lion/Tiger droppings (from a local zoo). Cats are very territorial. If they smell another (Bigger) cat this may deter them. I believe this method works for people bothered with Deer. Might work for cats too. It may sound daft using crap to stop cats crapping in your garden but at least you can hide the Lion/Tiger droppings. Good for the soil and enviroment too.

Just a thought. :)
  • Thanks for all that advice. Apparently cats never crap on their own doorstep. May give the water a try - or keep a water pistol handy in case I catch them mid-poo!
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • My father in-law used to swear by homemade snakes! He would cut up lengths of garden hose, wind black tape around them to create stripes and finsh them off with a red paper tongue. He even used to move them around the garden to convince the cats they were the genuine article. All seemed to be going well until one day a cat crapped right on top of one of his masterful creations! ;D
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was gonna suggest the lion dung as well

but also get a few garden canes and put a plastic bag round them and when they blow n the wind the cats dont like the noise apparently )it also works with birds) :)
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was gonna suggest the lion dung as well

but also get a few garden canes and put a plastic bag round them and when they blow n the wind the cats dont like the noise apparently )it also works with birds)  :)

just realised that may not be good if its not a windy day ::)
  • Hello - cat crap is horrid.  My friend swears by empty pop bottles filled with water dotted about the garden - apparently they don't like them.  It seems to work - even her own cat doesn't crap there!!  :D

Cats very rarely crap on their own yard - solution? Get your own cat! There might be a few scraps for the territory first off, but ever since my own moggie stood her ground with the big ginger, I haven't found any.

I seem to remember a previous thread on the subject, but I don't know how to post a link to it if I could find it.

And there was a review of cat deterrents on the Which? website a couple of months back, grab a free month's subscription and check it out before you buy anything (the remember to cancel your subscription before you start paying).
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    eerrm...get a dog??? :-/

actually I had a prob with a cat doing unspeakable things in my doorway and I did the water-filled plastic bottle thing and it worked! :)
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• try Jeys fluid, dilute it with some water & pour it on the area that the cats keeps going to, also try putting upright twigs there, thats what we did & it soon stopped them, good luck. ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure