Any value for my old hot water tank?

Hi,

I am sure someone will know the answer to this!

My old hot water tank was taken out today and has gone! Does anyone know if it has a scrap value? It is a 4 foot indirect copper hot water cylinder (according to my OH)

I am guessing that it does as we didn't ask for them to take it out and they are not the best at clearing up!

Many Thanks

Sally

Comments

• booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    Hi Afitos

It most certainly does have a value. Prices for any scrap metal are through the roof at the moment and the last i heard was that scrap copper was fetching £260.00 per cwt. Get it back from them and take it to your local scrap metal dealer. I would imagine they have already scrapped it though so get the money from them. They have no right to remove it without your permission let alone sell it!!!

Hope that helps

Andy
  • I think they fetch about £25 round here
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thats our plumbers BEER MONEY:rotfl:

They might have needed to take it out to carry out their work, if you are have alterations, ie new combi boiler/ upgrade. Otherwise you will have no hot water Miss's.:eek:
    Ok £25 for a scrap cylinder,dripping sludge, would you want that in the back of your car? cost(petrol) and time of taking it to a scrap yard?

It is a general rule that if you take the scrap you also remove all the rubbish as well.
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Thanks Very Much.

I knew they would be getting something for it. I guess I am more annoyed as the plummer has made a right mess today. We never discussed removing it.

Water right thriough the ceiling and the new plaster and what looks like PVA in the bath which we are keeping as it is new'ish. We don't have any need for the tank now but what is most annoying is that they take what they want. It might well be his beer money but it could of been my wine money!

It could of gone in our car as we have an old banger for this exact reason! Oh and they have been putting their rubbish in my skip!

Well thanks for your help sorry about the rant!

Sally
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's worth money. Any copper removed from your house is cash going straight into the plumbers pocket.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good evening: My OH's written, full specification quotations always include the 'removal and disposal of all waste materials associated with the installation'. If the customer prefers to deal with the waste materials his/herself then the quote will be adjusted to reflect this request.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Getting rid of stuff is so important nowadays that you should always ask or look at quotes to see whether workmen remove stuff and what they charge. You should also tell them if there is anything in particular you want to keep.

They also have to be licensed to remove and carry waste materials!! They have to pay quite a bit for this and some people don't want to be involved with this extra paperwork and expense so they prefer customers to dispose of stuff themselves.

I know someone who has just had a new fence and concrete posts fitted and was happy to say they would dispose of the old materials themselves. It took 3 journeys to local tip with chopped up fences in boot of small car. So that was 60 miles in total. A couple of hours breaking, bagging and loading it as well. Personally I'd rather pay someone £20 or whatever and be done!
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Isn't it surprising how some items are cleared away so quickly?

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry - went off a bit there - Yes, obviously scrap is fetching a lot now! But as someone else said - would you want to be bothered lugging that to a scrap yard?
  • We split the money with our plumber when he took our old water tank, radiators and old copper pipes to the scrap yard.

They should have discussed it with you before taking it, but it sounds as though you have a long list of grievances with your plumber.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure