Citymain Administrators/Buymobilephones.net

Options
Hello,
I need some advice on how to get back the 4 months of insurance i've been paying without my knowledge on a mobile phone. Firstly, some history.

I purchased a mobile phone back in July 09 through buymobilephones. I distinctly remember removing the phone insurance from the phone (in the basket), as I wouldn't need it. I think that it's a con in the first place. If my new mobile phone broke, i've got a couple of old backup mobiles that would work. (i was just trying to save money).

I received an email order confirmation that showed my phone and contract type.

I received my shiny new mobile and contract a couple of days later, along with a sales invoice that showed my phone and contract type.

Neither confirmations showed that I had purchased phone insurance. why would they? i removed it from my basket on the checkout. My contract for this phone comes to £25/month after everything. it is the only direct debit to come out of this account, and the only thing i use this account for.
Each month i put £30ish pound into this account thinking that the extra £5 will all add up at the end of the year, build an account with some balance in,

Fast forward to Jan 2010.

I receive a nice letter through from Lloyds TSB, my phone account, telling me i'm "£2.59 overdrawn, and i will have to pay £9,000,000,000.00 in fees. i'm furious, march to TSB and ask them HOW?
turns out i've got a direct debit that was set up 2 days after my phone contract was set up, with citymain administrators. and has been paying out £5.99 / month since 4th october, 3 months after i got my phone.

The phone did come with 3 months free insurance, which is what i removed at checkout stage. so I log back into my buymobilephones.net account, and see that it says on my order. Free Insurance : YES.

I sent the following email to buy mobile phones:
I am enquiring as to why insurance has been set up on my phone whilst during the checkout/ordering process i distinctly requested, and clicked the \remove\ icon for free insurance.

I have only found this out now because this insurance direct debit has sent me overdrawn on my account and I have been charged. I would like my insurance cancelling IMMEDIATELY and reimbursing the months that I have paid.

I did not want insurance, my order confirmation from buymobilephones.net doesnt even mention anything about insurance.

i got the following reply (5 Days Later :j)
Thanks for your email.

In regard to your query about the insurance cover. After looking at your order, I can advise that it was not cancelled and the point of ordering.

If you wish to cancel this cover you will need to contact the insurance company in question I have included below their contact telephone number:

City Main - 08445 762 273

As this product was not removed from the order any charges incurred by this are not payable by Buymobilephones.net.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us at

(i tried calling them, but "due to exception weather conditions, there is no-one in the office)

I sent the following reply back to buymobilephones (On the same day, Jan 11)
Thanks for your reply, I would not purchase phone insurance, as it is not worth the paper it is written on. I have never purchased phone insurance with any supplier, and never would.

Also if this is the case (that i have purchased it) why does the 'purchased' phone insurance not show up on either my email confirmation of order, and my paper sales invoice that i received with the phone? I have received no information regarding the purchase of phone insurance, or even a confirmation of direct debit.

Thanks

I had not a reply back, so resent the email again on the 18th January.

I've still not got a reply back so have resent the same question again this morning (4 days after resending my request.).

"Why the hell have i not been informed in either of my sales confirmations that insurance has been purchased, and why have i not had a direct debit guarantee sheet. (are you supposed to get these with ever direct debit set up?)

who would i take this further with? ofcom? FSO?

What to do? :mad: i want my ~£24 back.

(i have cancelled the direct debit.)

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You already have a thread on this topic in this very forum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=28739825

It looks like your word against theirs, and will be a struggle to get any refund.

Try putting your case in writing rather than using e-mails, at least you will have a paper trail to show if you don't get anywhere.

But emailing in that ranting tone won't help you get any goodwill from them!
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You already have a thread on this topic in this very forum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=28739825

It looks like your word against theirs, and will be a struggle to get any refund.

Try putting your case in writing rather than using e-mails, at least you will have a paper trail to show if you don't get anywhere.

But emailing in that ranting tone won't help you get any goodwill from them!

ah, i did a search, but didn't see it!

i havent really ranted in the emails, this ("Why the hell have i not been informed in either of my sales confirmations that insurance has been purchased, and why have i not had a direct debit guarantee sheet. (are you supposed to get these with ever direct debit set up?)) is not in the emails, but is just a general frustration that everyone is out to con you out of money.
  • kolin_2
    Options
    anyone? :(
  • kolin_2
    Options
    i would like to post an update, but i have nothing to update with really, I keep trying to contact buymobilephones.net with the questions :
    1)Why have I not received ANY documentation or Direct Debit guarantee showing that this was set up?

2)Why does the insurance NOT SHOW on any paper invoices or Email confirmation from Buymobilephones.net? If i purchased insurance through buymobilephones insurance SHOULD be on the invoices/receipts. An invoice should show all goods/services purchased in that transaction. Mine do not show Mobile phone insurance. therefore I HAD NOT purchased insurance, or would believe that I had, yes?.

3)why have I had to send 4 emails in order to get a response (a MONTH later), that did not even answer my main and most important questions?

(as if to prove me right, it's been 5 days since I sent the above email, and I still haven't had a reply.)

ANYWAY.

I emailed citymain administration on the email address they give on their contact us page.
    Hello,

I would like to claim back the money I have paid so far and cancel my
    Phone Insurance. I have been missold my phone insurance by
    Buymobilephones.net, I have received no documentation, that mobile
    phone insurance has been purchased, and no direct debit guarantee has
    been received by myself. However a Direct Debit was set up without my
    knowledge or consent. and has been taking £5.99 / month from my
    account since october, and I only found out this because the direct
    debit went out and took me over my overdraft, incurring me a fine.
    If my phone had been broken, I wouldn't have even been aware that I
    could have claimed either, because I had no knowledge or documentation
    that I had insurance.

I have tried contacting Buymobilephones, but they say it is nothing to
    do with them, and that you are the insurer.

This is the only information I have :

A1INS.*********

is the reference on the direct debit. The amount owed to me is £23.96
    (Oct - Jan). I have cancelled the direct debit.

Yours Sincerely

Blah Blah.

This email was sent on the 5th february, so 5 days ago, and guess what, absolutely no response. not even an acknowledgement that they have my email. I find this disgusting and unacceptable.
    I would ring them, but

a)I'm not ringing an 0844 number from my mobile
    b)they are only open in the hours i'm at work.

what can I do.... (other than send hard copy requests)
  • alenkab
    Options
    Hi exactly the same thing happend to me. I just ring that up - Cityamain administrators and I have been told I did required an insurance for my phone (which I never did at the first place) and got adviced to contact the company which i got my phone from.
    I am defenetly going to complain!
  • sharon_deane
    Options
    Hi everyone,I had the same problem...However I had no trouble cancelling my "unwanted Insurance"...I rang buymobilesphones.net on their customer service number (found on top of order form) it was explained that anyone who agrees to the 3mth free insurance is automatically agreeing to the insurance deal?! They gave me city administrators number (08445762273) I rang them..opt 4 then opt 1 hang on through the automated voice and a real live very polite lady appears on the phone...confirms your details and cancels your policy there and then, no questions asked..A few days later a letter in the post confirming cancellation.....PERFECT.
    Buymobilephones.net definitely needs to review their policies n procedures,they need to explain the insurance better and send out confirmation of bank direct debits...By the same token, shouldn't the bank contact it's account holders when a company/business tries to set up a DD on your account without a signature?! I will be trying to get my money refunded..but as it was only £5.99 once I consider myself to be quite lucky I caught it in time

Sharon :j
  • CB001
    CB001 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for posting your info Sharon - I called the number you listed and was able to cancel my policy on the spot. Also canceled the DD just in case.
    Fortunately they only got one month off me.
  • emilyemily_2
    Options
    I'd just like to add to this that I DID knowingly take out insurance with Citymain through buymobilephones.net - and it has been a complete waste of money. Aside from not sending me through my full policy details, when I did try to make a claim it turns out that there is pretty much nothing that you can claim for, their policy is so restrictive. Although my phone was stolen, it was not a forced and violent assault, so not covered - theft from a public place, loss and damage are also not covered. Totally pointless. Just a warning in case anyone is considering using this insurer, they do not pay out!!
  • mcosborne67
    mcosborne67 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 January 2012 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Last week we discovered that city main had been deducting £5.99 a month from my sons account since January 2010. On realisation they were called and the policy was cancelled with immediate effect, when I queried claiming the payments back I was advised to email them. Email was sent on same day stating that we were still in receipt of original invoice for phone and nowhere did it indicate that insurance had been taken out. A full refund was requested. The email was not acknowledged but today 4 working days later full refund is in his account. Result!! It can be done :)
  • stan5001
    stan5001 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    I've used a few mbile phone cashback companies, and they all give you three months free insurance in the hope you'll forget to cancel the DD. I just wait for the direct debit to be set up then cancel it before they take payment.

You should anyway check all your direct debits at least once a month - I do it through online banking every fortnight or so - to make sure everything's alright.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure