marketing companies [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Comments

• sweetstudent
    sweetstudent Posts: 670 Forumite
    THIS IS A VERY LONG POST, SO PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT FULLY.

Hi guys. I am new to the forum, so I think this is probably the right forum for this, but feel free to move it if nececary.

I would like to give details of a major scam existing, with many many branches. I will be as detailed as I can. I worked for these people in the near past, and would like to aid others in avoiding this same scam.

How did this happen to me?

Well, in an effort to find a new job, I posted my CV online on a monday evening to Monster.co.uk. The following day, I was contacted by a company called T.H. Nationwide Limited, and was told that my CV was forwarded to them, and that they were very impressed with my CV. This seemed a little to quick, but I just expected that they were on a recruitment drive. They invited me to a one-on-one interview with their managing director, Tai Hussain, on the wednesday morning.

I went for the first round interview with these people, and was immediately impressed with their company. They claimed to have contracts with Disney, Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and many other high-flying companies. They told me they had 28,000 offices world-wide.

They invited me to attend a second round interview with themselves, this was on the thursday. This would be to show me the ground-floor entry level of the business. I was placed out "in the field" with Lucas Wantega (surname may be spelt wrong). This proved to be an interesting day. I watched Lucas as he worked at the ground-level (door-to-door marketing for the british red cross).

I was then told to go back to the office for the third and final round interview. this was basically a formality, and was told I had got the job. The progression was explained to me fully again by Tai Hussain, after Lucas Wantega had broken it down for me over lunch during the day.

Here is the breakdown as it was explained to me:-

DISTRIBUTOR (4-6 weeks)

equivalent to national minimum wage for a 40 hour job.

responsibilities:

learn the marketing system we use. Reach a consistent level in the field. Have a good attitude to the business.

TEAM LEADER (3-9 months)

equivalent to £300-£500 per week

responsibilities:

learn how to train others. improve your own field work. take out 2nd round interviews. be able to teach others the marketing system

ASSISTANT MANAGER (12 MONTHS)

£35,000 per annum.

responsibilities:

as above, but also take 1st round interviews. learn legal paper-work. manage own campaign under advice from MD

MANAGING DIRECTOR (12 MONTHS)

£50,000 per anum

responsibilities:

to own and run own office, based in another town. supported by the company director (Tai Hussain)

as you can tell from that, I was told that this was a 3 year plan, and that I was guaranteed managing director position in three years. This sounded superb, and I took the position.

I was ripped of by this company. It was not made clear to me when I started that this was comission only. I earned within the five weeks i was in this company (and I was promoted 3 days in!) the grand total £120. I am expecting to recieve a further £45 total. So for five weeks working for this company, I expect to recieve £165 total.

Your not the only one who was ripped off, along with a friend, which we both were expected Marketing jobs, not door to door sales!!!!
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • dalibay
    dalibay Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just wanted to warn people in Brighton&Hove area...the same jobs are advertised in this region as well, most of them use different names and umbrella companies. The job posts are mainly under "Marketing, Sales, PR,....." Some of the names i came across so far are " Powerhouse Direct" and "TheKlub" according to the researches there is plenty more throughout East Sussex. Make sure you read these links above before you accept these companies terms.
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    here in bristol too, got called up and they wer every persistent, i had to say NO I DON'T WANT THE INTERVIEW.

Because i asked them again and again about what the actual job will entail, and who they have contracts for. The fact they were so intent on not answering my questions made me suspicious, esp the interview with the 'managing director'. LOL
  • The same has happened to me was due to go to the 2nd interview tomorrow thought it was a scam and been researching tonight on the web so glad I did so definately wont be attending!!
  • Amazing Post! I read every single word of it with intrigue. What a detailed and accurate post - this pyramid scheme is legendary. Certainly brought back some mixed memories.

This organisation seems have to have spread its evil tentacles across the globe and survived the test of time. Yet still remains all smoke and mirrors to the world at large, disguised as numerous independent offices.

In all fairness, although it has left a lot of people bitter and perhaps destroyed some people's livelihoods, the creators of this brainwashing/pyramid scheme are pretty clever since they have presumably done very well for themselves (due to the misfortune of others). I'm not condoning what the scheme does but trying to offer a flip-side to this.

An alternative perspective:

I was a student on summer break from my first year at university. A friendly, smiley Aussie girl appeared out our doorstep selling "privilege cards" for a local restaurant. I don't recall buying one, though my sister and myself were recruited to work and earn some money over the summer holidays. Since I hadn't lined up any work experience or anything productive for the holiday I thought it might be worth a try for a bit. (An alternative to working as a waiter in the local Chinese restaurant)

From there the story pretty much follows the extremely accurate script above. Drove out to the office in Romford (a little room in a business park). Practiced pitches, lots of ringing the bell, juice, clapping, high-5's etc. Slowly the brainwashing began....

The difference for me, from what I understand, is that other people have applied to this job not realising that it was a door-2-door sales post or the commission only basis, or believing it was a about building "career" etc.

I knew what it was on the door and was open to the idea of doing it for a fun/laugh/life experience. It was certainly hard work, and I did a couple of "donut" 0-sales days. And there were days where I considered giving up, however persistence and attitude and pure stubbornness prevented me giving up. By the end of the holidays I had become one of the top sellers in the office. Absolutely confident and consistent, believing that I could tackle any scenario, any personality, all door scenarios were evaluated and worked to my advantage. There became an almost natural rhythm to dropping a piece and getting the close.

Too easy!?...

Then came the crunch, the Owner congratulated me and tried to pitch his world view to me, to convince me to leave university with the prospect of earning serious money very quickly and progressing up the ranks. That I had a great future, blah.blah.... In fact by this stage I had become so enraptured with the concept that I was almost brainwashed to the point where I was going to give up (as insane it now sounds to turn away from a place at one of the top Uni's in London/World in that field) Thankfully I had some very level headed parents who guided me back on the right track and made me see sense again.

Lessons learned

Strangely, I look back actually with *very* fond memories of my time working under the umbrella of Cobra/Granton - the name of the particular company I have since forgotten. There were some late nights out to bars, and crashing over at random people's flats. Meeting young people from different backgrounds, being out in the summer sunshine while working (MAJOR bonus now that I'm a 7am-7pm office worker in The City)

I learnt a huge number of important life-skills.

I learnt about dealing with difficult people, understanding people, empathy, gaining people's trust, speaking confidently (100 ppl a day) maintaining good attitude at the most dire moments, managing one's emotions and disassociating that from the job/task at hand, ultimately believing in oneself and that you are the master of your own success.

These are lessons I would not give back for the world. But in terms of a career, there are obviously fundamental flaws in the "system", and gladly my parents helped highlight these and allowed me to make an informed, rational decision of my own choosing, not to carry on working there.

I do wonder what happened to all the people I worked with, and whether or not they are still struggling with sales jobs or chasing their dreams. If Georgie & Jimmy Rainbow are out there, please say hello!

To the more vulnerable people in the world without supportive level-headed family/friends to pull you back on track, be very wary of selling your life to this company. It's all a numbers game, and for every success there are 100's of failures. If I were placing bets on the outcome, I know which side I would be on.

In summary, I think I learn many things from my (fond) experiences, and yet am equally relieved that I wasn't drawn into what I saw was akin to a religious corporate cult. Especially the massive Cobra cross-office "conference" at Earls Court or was it Wembley Arena?

I hope that this helps people make informed choices about their own future and ultimately take control of their own lives and success, not to become driftwood brainwashed and washed out to sea.

Wishing everyone success for the future.

Regards
  • Giuseppe_2
    Giuseppe_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    This rings a massive bell. Last summer I had an interview with a marketing company in Leeds after seeing an advert in the local paper. I can't remember the name now but the offices were on Upper Briggate I think. There were hoards of young people waiting and we were interviewed two at a time, which immediately set alarm bells ringing.

Once in the interview room a self proclaimed marketing guru recounted how he had built up this company from scratch, and how there are now thousands of offices all over the UK. He also stressed that the firm markets for blue chip companies. He then asked us a few compentency questions such as "what motivates you through the day?", and we duly spouted our contrived answers.

The next day the secretary called me to say that I had been successful and that I was invited to a second round "interview" that would be completely out in the field. I didn't go, as seemed wrong to dress up a day's training as an "interview"... not to mention the dubious lack of explanation as to what exactly we would be doing. We were only told that there would be walking involved.

Judging by the above posts probably best avoided!
  • Giuseppe_2
    Giuseppe_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    This rings a massive bell. Last summer I had an interview with a marketing company in Leeds after seeing an advert in the local paper. I can't remember the name now but the offices were on Upper Briggate I think. There were hoards of young people waiting and we were interviewed two at a time, which immediately set alarm bells ringing.

Once in the interview room a self proclaimed marketing guru recounted how he had built up this company from scratch, and how there are now thousands of offices all over the UK. He also stressed that the firm markets for blue chip companies. He then asked us a few compentency questions such as "what motivates you through the day?", and we duly spouted our contrived answers.

The next day the secretary called me to say that I had been successful and that I was invited to a second round "interview" that would be completely out in the field. I didn't go, as seemed wrong to dress up a day's training as an "interview"... not to mention the dubious lack of explanation as to what exactly we would be doing. We were only told that there would be walking involved.

Judging by the above posts probably best avoided!
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There seems to be a lot of new posters on this subject. I smell El Ratto.

Suckers will always be there for the taking.
  • Hiya, Well I couldnt believe it when my friend sent me thr link and i read it all, I have also been sucked in by the scam, I was working for the "Cobra Group" for the vantage office in wolverhampton, we had all the 5 steps and the 8 steps and I worked so hard in trying to be good at it but the law of averages really doesnt work and the pay was diabolical, I was paid 24 pounds for a weeks work and i still havent had the wages I am owed, They told us within a week of me bein there that we were going for "training" in nottingham for a week, this week turned into two and then three and as far as i know they are still there, If i applied for a job in wolverhampton I like to think i would be at least have my office based there not moved to nottingham, i know that lots have people left my office and i know that a few have been sacked because they refuse to go back to nottingham. I have walked out and am currently looking for a new job but these kind of people annoy me, the only good thing thats has come out of this is that I have found my confidence again and I am able to motivate my self more, maybe they should change trade and go in for motivation company rather than marketing.

Well thats my rant over, but i am so glad that i am not on my own in this :)

Emzie x
  • mizzbiz
    mizzbiz Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Ah this is funny, because when I graduated I responded to an advertisement for Graduates for marketing jobs. Being young and naive, but also not braindead, I rang them up o ask a few pertinent questions about the role.

From this I can gather that you have to be really gullible to fall for these scams as I never heard from them again because I asked the right questions from the off.
    I'll have some cheese please, bob.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport