'Wonder' hair shampoo? Phylia de M

Good afternoon,

I've been looking for ways to improve my fine hair as "I can't do a thing with it"!

I have came across the 'Phylia de M' hair product range on the Beauty Bible website and they seem to rave about it, along with "half of Hollywood" apparently. I wondered if anyone had tried it (or even heard of it)?

It's certainly not the cheapest range (and not very MSE, I know) - shampoo is £28, conditioner £30 and the hair strengthening spray called 'Connect' is £45. I think the products are only available from Victoria Health.

The article on Beauty Bible is
beautybibleloves dot com/hair/phylia-de-m-3-step-kit/

Incidentally, the Beauty Bible website also mentions Aveda's Invati haircare system, which sounds like it does a similar job. It is a little cheaper (ahem) at £80 for the set, although the sizes of the shampoo and conditioner are a bit smaller. No reviews on Beauty Bible, but those on Aveda's website sound encouraging.

If anyone has any experience of either of these, it would be interesting to hear.

Thank you.

Comments

• j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you've got the money to spare and you're feeling a bit flush, then go for it. But I must say, having grown up with a mum who's a hairdresser I am a bit cynical about these products. They're feel-good things to buy, but all a product like that is going to do is coat the hair. It won't make it grow thicker or stronger, etc

What is it you want from the product?
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    I was seriously underwhelmed when I was given an Aveda hair & body giftset I'd hankered after. I'd be cautious about forking out that kind of money without having tried it.
  • Yes, I must admit I was a bit cynical about the products, as there are so many on the market that promise so much but, in my experience, fail to deliver.

My hair is very fine and there's not much density to it. I've tried lots of 'standard' priced shampooos/conditioners which are specifically for fine, flyaway hair that needs more volume and I don't see any improvement with any of them.

I have no problem growing my hair length-wise, but I would like to get it looking thicker and fuller, and encourage growth of more hair if possible. The Phylia de M range claims it can stimulate hair follicles thus improving growth and reducing hair loss, using natural ingredients.

I may well just go for it; I thought I'd just see if anyone else had any experience of the product. I don't think it's been launched in the UK for very long, so there might not be many advocates yet.

It's a pity they don't do trial sizes, or a money-back guarantee!
  • Armchair23 wrote: »
    I was seriously underwhelmed when I was given an Aveda hair & body giftset I'd hankered after. I'd be cautious about forking out that kind of money without having tried it.

I did pop in to an Aveda store as I know they do sometimes have samples available but unfortunately they didn't have any of their Invati range.

Maybe it sells well enough - the reviews on their website are very favourable, but everyone's hair is different so I guess I won't know until I try something for myself! Perhaps I'll see if I can get to another store and enquire about samples.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From what I understand of the Aveda Invati range, its not so much the shampoo and conditioner that are important, its the spray in treatment thing which is supposed to boost hair growth. The shampoo exfoliates (gets rid of sebum trapping the hair from growing) the conditioner helps hair to stay in place- doesn't thicken, just helps repair and prevent damage to the hair you have got but the treatment spray foam is supposed to make hair grow. Its they key part but there are no samples, perhaps because you have to use it twice daily for a week or two to see any difference- this is my assumption anyway.

I have not heard of the other range you mention, to be honest way way way over any budget!

I tend to wait for birthday's for things as gifts, I did get sent the new L'Oreal Everpure range which isn't so bad. Doesn't do as well as you get to the bottom of the tubes as I think my hair must have gotten used to it, I have used Kerastase in the past and I didn't find my hair got used to that yet it lasted longer then the Everpure so I think its more to do with the range then anything else.

Normally Avede do have great products, when I have used them they left my hair in great condition and last a while as you need only a little per use. If I had the money to, I'd feel safe buying the new range.
  • Thank you jenniewb.

Yes, I believe it is the spray which is the 'wonder' product in both the Aveda Invati and Phylia de M ranges. That's probably why they're the dearest of the three products in each!

I too tried the L'Oreal Everpure and it was a very nice product but, like everything else I've tried, I didn't notice any difference to my hair. I do have the most dreadful fine flyaway hair so I'm sure it works for a lot of people who don't have such problematic hair!

Maybe I need to try something completely different (in price and product!). I'm still thinking about it, but if I do bite the bullet and try one of these supposedly higher-end ranges, I will report back.

It's a great idea to ask for products as birthday/Christmas gifts, thank you. If I do find a product I like I won't be able to get enough of it and it will be top of my list!
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    I find Brewers' Yeast supplements make a noticeable difference to the thickness and growth speed of my hair and are a lot cheaper too, why not try that for a while first? And making sure your diet is the best it can be will help as well.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • Thank you Saturnalia.

I had been thinking about taking a supplement instead and was undecided as to which was best; there are so many on the market.

I'd heard of Brewers Yeast but didn't really know anything about it. I hadn't realised it helped with hair problems so I never considered it. I'd read about 'Superior Hair' by Food Science of Vermont on the Beauty Bible website which is supposed to be good as it encourages new hair growth and prevents hair loss (like the Phylia de M/Aveda Invati hair products). Mind you, at £25 for one month's supply, this doesn't work out much cheaper than the Phylia de M shampoo which is supposed to last around 6 weeks!

Did you find it took a long time for Brewers Yeast to make a noticeable difference to your hair?
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    I find I see results quite quickly with it, within a month! It's very good stuff for hair, contains lots of the B vitamins.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • MoneyWorry
    MoneyWorry Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I purchased the Phylia de M shampoo and it's awful for me. Weighs my hair down and just makes it more flat than ever. I will be listing the bottle on Ebay shortly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure