Loft boarding vs loft insulation

Probably a really stupid question.... If I boarded my loft out with those MDF plank things would this give me enough insulation to not bother putting loft insulation down?
Any ideas/thoughts welcomed?

Comments

• tricky_3
    tricky_3 Posts: 53 Forumite
    boarding the loft will add no insulating value at all. To achieve the current building regs you need 250mm of mineral wool insulation.

If your looking to do as much as you can AND have a boarded loft the fill between the ceiling joists with insulation then board over the top. If the boarding is not important, 250mm of insulation and loose the boards
    if i had known then what i know now
  • MisterT2
    MisterT2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    There are a lot of grants etc around at the moment for insulation top-up. I will be putting in 4 by 2 on top of the ceiling joists and then reflooring. Advised to do this as this will reduce the pressure of squashing the insulation down which could pop the plasterboard below.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    I just boarded up my loft with the MDF stuff you get from B&Q. I just laid the old loft insulation between the joists admittedly I had to squash it down as I had rather a lot, only recently got done, Unsure what benefit I got other than can use some extra space for storage and kids play room (small loft)

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • I would be wary about putting any significant loading (i.e. 4"x2" 's) on the existing ceiling joists. Because these members are in tension, they are designed down to very small section sizes, and are usually only capable of taking the weight of the ceiling (and a bit of rubbish in the loft).

Before you add any significant loading, get your existing joists checked.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    doesn't it depend on your house though as to whether it's just holding up ceilings etc.? I thought older houses especially(esp. those with brick interior walls) had joists etc. that could cope with a reasonable load?
  • Regardless of the age of the house, if the roof is made from rafters instead of trusses, it will more than likely have mid span loadbearing walls and these will have been taken into account when designing the joists. The joists will only be designed to take a minimal load over the span they are designed for, whether it be between intermediate walls or the entire depth of the house.

Therefore the point in my previous post still stands. Unless specifically designed to take a floor load, always assume that ceiling joists in your loft cannot take additional load.

If you want to put any significant load in the loft, the least you should consider is laying new joists in between the existing. However, always take advice from an engineer first.
  • , Unsure what benefit I got other than can use some extra space for storage and kids play room (small loft)

Don't mean to be heavy but think what might happen if there was a fire. Most lofts are accessed by a single hatch - difficult to to get the occupants out if the fire was to start in the region under the hatch :-(

Joe
    Joe

As through this life you travel,
    you meet some funny men
    Some rob you with a six-gun,
    and some with a fountain pen
  • According to the Building Regs, a loft can be used for storage only. As soon as it becomes a habital room i.e a bedroom or playroom etc, it needs to comply with Part B of the building regs which impose all sorts of restrictions, such as an enclosed staircase, fire doors, fire escape windows (depending on the situation) etc. On top of this you'll have to deal with the heat loss regs and ventilation regs which will mean you will have to insulate between and probably below the rafters.

As soon as you start using your loft for anything more than storing a few boxes.......it starts to become very expensive.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Thats true about using other than storage. I know quiet a few people who use lofts for things other than storage. IE nextdoor users it for model railway, a mate uses it for computer room none have had planning permission.

Mine is used (still aint complete yet due to lack of funds) a play room for the kids. I cant afford doing it properly nor would it be worth it as you cant stand up in it. The kids got to play somewhere, we aint got the room in a small terraced and with no garden just a small backyard, pavements unsafe due to idiot drivers who su ethe pavements to drive on, playgrounds kids get bullied by yobs, what else is one suppose to do?

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I had boards in mine when I moved in and used it for stage, but recently have emptied it and got a grant for insulation... the house is sooo much warmer!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure