Are employers obligated to pay for eye tests?

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is in the right part of the forum, but i wonder if anyone could tell me if your emplyer is obligated to pay for your eye tests? i spend all my working day at my pc and am in need of one but thought if they are not then i will just take up a free offer with a different company to the one i used to use. been two years since my last one so fingers crossed nothing's altered that much!!!
"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes they are - or to arrange one for you. He could quite legitimately ask you to take up a free offer if he's aware of one.

If you need different glasses for PC use to those used for distance or reading then they must pay for the glasses as well.

My (former) employer provided a voucher which covered the test and up to £50 (I think) for glasses. Most opticians accepted the voucher
  • chloecc
    chloecc Posts: 239 Forumite
    Ah thanks very much, i will have a word and see what he would prefer me to do
    "He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

have a look on page 5 - looks like they should pay for you
    :happyhear
  • chloecc
    thats great! thank you for your help!
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The employer may well want to provide you with just a "basic" eyetest which is all that is required under the law. If you have a "normal" eyetest it will cover more, such as an eye inspection rather than just sight tests.
  • Eye tests are free in Scotland.

You guys are so backward! :)
  • chloecc
    You'd think having a scottish PM woudl help wouldnt you ;-)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Our works eye tests used to be sitting at a computer and clicking on various test screens, e.g. spot the 'c' hidden among the 'o's, the '8' among the '3's etc., as it was only required to test your eyesight as it affected your computer use. Therefore there was no test for long sightedness, pressure etc., so as an all round examination it was pretty useless. The only glasses they would pay for were if you needed them specifically for computer work.

Work eye tests are no substitute for going to a proper optician, so I wouldn't rely on them picking up any problems. Of course your employer might send you to a proper optician - ours had the works nurse do them on site (no pun intended).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• chloecc
    thanks for your help everyone, i did go on saturday and i do need specs, after 27 years without, i dont suppose thats too bad by today's standards, but they are for VDU use only so i should be able to claim it back from my boss :money:

thanks again everyone!!
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure