IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Most motorists beat the cowboys to win parking ticket appeals

"55% of private parking ticket appeals made to Popla since last October were upheld in favour of the motorist ..."
Read the full story:

Most motorists beat the cowboys to win parking ticket appeals

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• I had a parking ticket on private property at a restaurant, completely unfairly. I ignored all letters, which saw the penalty fare increase and increase, then decrease as a compromise, threaten to take me to court, reduce credit rating etc etc. I still ignored it and now haven't had a letter for months! Cowboys.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    It's still unclear what's the point of appealing if they can't enforce the ticket. Do we know of anyone who has been made to pay a private ticket who has refused? Perhaps by appealing you make it enforceable if you lose?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wait till somebody leaves their car in your drive for a week,
    and the council and police tell you they can't do anything about cars on private land.
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 454
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 February 2013 at 3:48PM
    Pincher wrote: »
    and the council and police tell you they can't do anything about cars on private land.

Yet another case of reductio ad absurdum (thanks, Sheldon Cooper). This is not about someone leaving their car on your driveway, which has never, ever happened to anyone, but always gets trotted out in this debate.

This is about people using 'private' car parks outside supermarkets and the like, which are often free to use unless you break some imaginary rule, such as parking with a wheel over a white line, or as per the article, "staying too long" because they were spending £400. The charges that then arise are imposed by companies unrelated to the landowner, that consequently have no legal title to the land, and no legal right to suggest you have formed a contract with them by parking there.
    They will then send numerous letters threatening to take you to court, trash your credit record (which they can't do), send bailiffs round (which they can't do), and generally trying to intimidate you into paying up.

POPLA is redundant. Ignore any private parking ticket.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

If they did the Police would be lying. Since 1st October 2012 they have powers to have vehicles removed from any land if the vehicle is there without permission.
  • surfboy1
    surfboy1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    You could try putting a ticket on it for £100, rising to £170 in 28 days, you could then threaten court, bailiffs, and trashed credit record!!
    Oh, wait, thats not lawfull is it??;)
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    spikyone wrote: »
    "This is not about someone leaving their car on your driveway, which has never, ever happened to anyone, but always gets trotted out in this debate."

It DID happen to me, about seven years ago.
    I did call the police, and I did call the council.

The even more absurd thing is, the road had parking bays with time restrictions, which I didn't usually need a resident permit for, as I had my own drive. So I got the parking ticket.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was going to post this in the original thread concerning getting a ticket in a Homebase car park. Well, this happened just two weeks ago when I and my wife went to Homebase in our local town and sat down and spent 3.5k on a new bathroom suite. To be honest, we didn't even realise there was a parking time limit in place and the project manager for our new bathroom didn't ask us if we had our car parked outside. So, you can imagine our dismay when six days after our visit, we got a letter demanding £95 off the contractors that Homebase use to enforce their parking rules. There we were in all our glory, me and the Missus photographed by ANPR like a right pair of lemons driving out of the car park after spending a considerable amount of money. No denying it was us M'lud!

So, next day I went back to the store, very calmly asked for the manager, showed him the receipt for the 3.5k we'd spent on the day of the 'offence' gave him a copy of the ticket demand and very politely I said 'Sort that out'. The Store Manager smiled and said it would be cancelled immediately. What's more, he made a point of telling me not to worry about it. He took my Wife's email address and within two hours, she had an email confirming the 'charge' had been cancelled. Thing is, we could prove exactly what time we arrived and left (so could the parking contractor lol!), I mean, we had the credit card receipt with the time of the transaction on it, plus CCTV of us entering and leaving with time stamps. Not only that, the Store Manager stated that the project manager should have taken our vehicle details the moment we sat down, but that of course never happened. The main thing is, the email my Wife received cancelling the parking charge, has come from the Enforcement Company concerned via Homebase, so if they subsequently dispute it and try to get us to pay, then we can ping pong it back.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I got one after loafing around in a Maplins, which was actually withn the time limit, but went into McDonalds and went over the time limit. Got the ticket in the post a few days later.

Ever since then, I have been paranoid about shopping centre parking. Wickes has a log book, in which you can register your car for extended stay. About four years ago, I was buying a kitchen, whch took forever. Nobody said anything, but when I saw the sign in the car park, I rushed back in, and then they brought out the log book. Apparently they fax it to the parking company at the end of the day.

They must operate a system for staff parking, at least.

They only go for easy targets. My neighbour's builder decided the most convenient position for their concrete mixer was right in front my drive. So I had to get my car out of my drive every day to avoid being blocked in. Calling the council got the reply "We can't give a parking ticket to a concrete mixer." I ended up getting a ticket because I forgot to move the car during the restriction time one day, from the council!:mad:
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    spikyone wrote: »
    Yet another case of reductio ad absurdum (thanks, Sheldon Cooper). This is not about someone leaving their car on your driveway, which has never, ever happened to anyone, but always gets trotted out in this debate.

This is about people using 'private' car parks outside supermarkets and the like, which are often free to use unless you break some imaginary rule, such as parking with a wheel over a white line, or as per the article, "staying too long" because they were spending £400. The charges that then arise are imposed by companies unrelated to the landowner, that consequently have no legal title to the land, and no legal right to suggest you have formed a contract with them by parking there.
    They will then send numerous letters threatening to take you to court, trash your credit record (which they can't do), send bailiffs round (which they can't do), and generally trying to intimidate you into paying up.

POPLA is redundant. Ignore any private parking ticket.

Yep this post is the reality of parking on private land, not some absurd if parked on a driveway garbage that is posted up by people who have no concept of the issue at all.

Thanks for the post :T
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport