PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 2:21PM
    Forgive me...I forget who told me to put a fleece under a sheet and over the mattress(I think it was Ginnyknit and Monnagran)Anyhow, it has worked wonders keeping me warm(and with the thermal socks...)

I also read that Shegar found in Primark a kind of cushion that has a kind of pocket that you can put a Hot Water Bottle in and then when you sit you can slip your feet into the pocket.

Well my sewing is a bit rubbish but if I learna whip stsitch maybe I could do something my friend in the States has done and it's a bit like this cushion but could work in a bed...and perhaps a HWB could be used in the pocket of the blanket in a similar way to the cushion...

I'll quote from a comment she left on my blog...in case you want to give it a go...

"Actually, this particular project is fine for folks who don't do much sewing. You can use a yarn or tapestry needly which is big and yarn which is much easier to work with. I just used a whip stitch which is the easiest one.

I also made one for my brother who gets horrible ache in his legs when the weather is cold or damp.

I took two fleeces and sewed them end to end, then flipped one end up to make a pocket and sewed up the pocket-sides. He sticks his feet into the pocket and the backside of it keeps his calves warm, the front then goes over his legs so it keeps him warm when he watches TV. So easy and cheap and it works really well.

Lots of things you can do with fleece. :)"
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • I don't know if this is the best place for a reminder, but please everyone bear in mind that fleece is VERY flammable, especially as we start wrapping ourselves up with it around extra heaters, candles, cookers etc.

For those not familiar, cotton and natural fibres will catch fire and burn up/off you. Fleece is a kind of plastic, it melts and sticks to you as it burns.

I now want to cheer everyone up by saying you can buy big bags of wheat in supermarkets and ethnic stores, and sew up your own microwaveable wheat bag :)
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best place for a reminder, but please everyone bear in mind that fleece is VERY flammable, especially as we start wrapping ourselves up with it around extra heaters, candles, cookers etc.

For those not familiar, cotton and natural fibres will catch fire and burn up/off you. Fleece is a kind of plastic, it melts and sticks to you as it burns.

I now want to cheer everyone up by saying you can buy big bags of wheat in supermarkets and ethnic stores, and sew up your own microwaveable wheat bag :)

Helen, a point well made and you can never have too many reminders...as it happened my fleece had an attached card saying it was flammable.

Luckily or unluckily I have no naked flames around me and it's because I am trying to avoid using the CH that I need them as a way to keep warm otherwise I would happily use the CH again, I wish that I could. As I have said before when I use it so little it is annoying that I have to part with cash because of the standing charges...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • VAL - would you be able to make the sleeves of your DDs coat longer by making cuffs from fur/velvet fabric and making a snuggly collar to match, don't know if she would wear it with those additions but if the actual coat still fits comfortably it might save a little cash.

We've not had the woodstove lit yet this year but had it swept back in May so it's all ready to go. We have spent the summer making paper logs for lighting it and a friend donated us a bootfull of nice thick wood offcuts the other day. DH has cut them up into the right size pieces and they should give a month's fires when we need them. We don't run the central heating any more unless it is really bitterly cold first thing in the morning and we try not to light the stove until mid afternoon, have learned to wrap up and keep active to stay warm. Cheers Lyn.
  • Ellie83 wrote: »
    Hehe, that's always what I tell myself and I have been using the electric blanket fro 5 days now :o

I live alone, it's not like I have anyone to be turned off by my PJs.... I think I just like being naked too much.... :D
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    VAL - would you be able to make the sleeves of your DDs coat longer by making cuffs from fur/velvet fabric and making a snuggly collar to match, don't know if she would wear it with those additions but if the actual coat still fits comfortably it might save a little cash.

I have done that sort of alteration in the past to school jackets where I've cut down a school fleece to make cuffs and a welt round the bottom. it worked out very well because the colour was the same maroon. But this 3-in-1 is unalterable in that way, lots of zips and plackets and stuff like that. Anyway, it was a gift and she got two winters out of it, can't complain!

One thing I did buy for DD that others might find useful for older girls to wear under school trousers. Tesco has long black over the knee socks for women at two pairs for £3.50. DD may be only not-quite-11 but she's got size 5 feet and her legs are as long as mine so these long socks are perfect for under school trousers. Yes she could wear wooly tights but her school trousers are synthetic and I feel that two layers of sweaty synthetics plus knickers round the crotch area is just asking for thrush or a UTI, even if the knickers are cotton. These socks remind me of the long wool stockings Victorian schoolgirls wore and DD loves them. Extra layer anyway.
    Val.
  • Ellie83
    Ellie83 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    I live alone, it's not like I have anyone to be turned off by my PJs.... I think I just like being naked too much.... :D

Haha, that made me giggle. Do you by any chance have a allinonesie? :D I do and my husband isn't a fan :p
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    We put the garden furniture away this afternoon in the shed. It came out pretty late this year, think it was late June time due to all the bad weather we had. It is unikely that we will use it again this year so we have stashed it away. I also took allot of the summer plants out from the pots, with the intention at some point of putting pansies in them in the next week or so.

I went into town this morning and popped into Primark, but they did not have the fleece cosy socks out out - very disappointed in that! Although I did go to Wilkinsons and picked up fat balls and peanuts for the birds. Also got some of the freezer bags from there as well.

I will confess our heating has been on this ast week and the flannelette sheets are on the bed, which has made all the difference.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • It's not just smaller DDs that covet over the knee socks VAL - mine was drooling in M & S the other day as they have some woolen ones with a fairisle design and a plain pair too in a pack that my eldest really,really wanted and she's 34! Lyn x.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Although I did go to Wilkinsons and picked up fat balls and peanuts for the birds. Also got some of the freezer bags from there as well.

I bought three kilos of suet and the same of cheap dried fruit in my last Approved Food order for about £7. I was astounded at how much bird food cost me last year, this year I'm going to try to stick to suitable kitchen scraps and make things like fat balls myself. I've also grown two dozen large headed sunflowers for seed, the original seedlings came from dropped seeds round the bird feeders so they were free. So they should give me five kilos or so of seeds. I'll get peanuts after Halloween, my Tesco were selling off the type in shells off for 20p a kilo last year. I'll have seeds from the pumpkins too, windfall apples, some birds like bacon rinds and crackling strips from roasts, (hang these out of the way of rats), rendered fat can also go in fat balls and of course you can use small amounts of soaked stale bread and toast crusts. Someone also told me birds like crushed up cat crunchies though I've not checked that with the RSPCB site yet. If so I'll use the crumbs from the bottom of the cat crunchie boxes, same as I do with the Weetabix, Fruit & Fibre and muesli boxes.

Any other suggestions for cheap or free bird foods?
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport