DLA appeal form (GL24) tips on completing needed

I am soon about to complete this form and wondered if anyone has any tips for me? I was awarded LRC but really think this should of been MRC. But no award for Mobility and which I accept as that was always a little borderline in my mind.

They say repeatedly in the claim form "Do you usually have difficulty or do you need help with ............" In my case yes I certainly do have difficulties but being very stubborn I often manage without asking my wife to get too involved. But they say in their letter no problems with several things with which I do have difficulties.

I have started typing out a response but am finding it will not fit in the small box on the appeal form and would take at least a full side of A4 - if not a bit more. Can I overdo it?

Comments

• Safetyone
    Safetyone Posts: 61 Forumite
    Give them as much information as poss.my appeal letter was 4 pages long .and at times I repeated myself just to make a point .I learned from experiance that in the beginging I did not provide enough information that`s why I got a knock back ..make it as long as you like and include things that you think may not matter, dont under sell yourself .good luck
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Safetyone wrote: »
    Give them as much information as poss.my appeal letter was 4 pages long .and at times I repeated myself just to make a point .I learned from experiance that in the beginging I did not provide enough information that`s why I got a knock back ..make it as long as you like and include things that you think may not matter, dont under sell yourself .good luck

Thanks for replying :T

I fully agree with all you say. Even though I thought (at the time) I had researched thoroughly it is now obvious I should of given far more information. One of my problems is my still not fully accepting the position I am now in and the support I need. Stubborn I guess? :o
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    For my DLA claim an extra 48 pages was sent - took weeks to do with being ill, my daughter typed for me as I would ramble and she added her experiences of my disability in.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • luminated
    Anubis wrote: »
    For my DLA claim an extra 48 pages was sent - took weeks to do with being ill, my daughter typed for me as I would ramble and she added her experiences of my disability in.

Wow! Wow! and Wow! :j

That must be a record?

So far mine has been collated and is 4/5 pages including a couple of photographs mainly bathroom showing three grab rails, chair in shower and type of things.

I am preying that the DM just upgrades me from LRC to MRC without my having to go to an appeal but ........

Thanks for replying.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Put everything in that you need help with. Whether you recieve that help or not is not important, the form focuses on whether you need that help, so if you put that you can do it with struggle because you are stubborn etc, you may he cutting yourself short.

You must write it from the point of view of "needing help" - therefore if you struggle like crazy to open a jar, and it takes you considerable time and hurts in the process, the fact is you need help with that, it doesn't matter if you manage to get the lid off an hour later.

Also expand on the help you need, for example, if the question is can you walk upstairs, and you struggle doing this, then putting " walking up stairs hurts" is not good enough, you need to expand:

I am unable to walk upstairs unassisted because of pain, and I loose balance easily and become breathless. Lifting my leg makes me very unsteady because I experience weakness in my legs and I
    have fallen previously etc

Remember the DM knows nothing about you, so you have to give enough information so they can "see" what your problems are. Do it as though you are explaining your needs to a complete stranger so when you have finished explaining they will know as much about your care needs as you do.

Of course the above are just examples as I have no idea of your care needs, but as long as you are honest in your approach and fully explain from the point of view that you need help with certain tasks because completing them yourself causes A and B then that is all you can do.

Keep a diary for a couple of days or a week and write down evything you need help with, without the stubborn streak :). You are like me in that you try to be as independent as you can, I fully understand that stubborn streak ;)
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • luminated
    Anubis thank you so much for taking the time to give me (after all a stranger) such a comprehensive answer.

I take on board all your comments/tips and my document has grown (:cool:) to 7/8/9 pages with my response/s to all the points where they said I have no problem. I have covered each in detail as you suggested, have included a typical days resume (I had before but this one is updated!!!) and included photos showing my twin stair handrails and my bathroom with triple grab handles and seat in the shower. Lastly a typical, day hour by hour, of where and for how long my wife is needed to help me.

I am hoping I will get it done tomorrow but aim to get in the post on Friday to give time to re-look and re-look and make sure :)

Agains thank you so much and shame I can't click thank you more than once.
  • yvonneem_2
    yvonneem_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Hi, I took my appeal form to DIAL. The lady there just wrote, on my behalf, that I disagreed with their decision. I enclosed a letter of support from my OT and the result was that the appeal was stopped and I was awarded High Rate mobility but no care award at all.
    Apparently that is quite a strange decision for them to make as it is clear that my mobility is very poor and I clearly need help.
    My problem now is whether to persue the award for care or not.
    Good luck with your appeal...
  • luminated
    yvonneem wrote: »
    Hi, I took my appeal form to DIAL. The lady there just wrote, on my behalf, that I disagreed with their decision. I enclosed a letter of support from my OT and the result was that the appeal was stopped and I was awarded High Rate mobility but no care award at all.
    Apparently that is quite a strange decision for them to make as it is clear that my mobility is very poor and I clearly need help.
    My problem now is whether to persue the award for care or not.
    Good luck with your appeal...

I see little risk in appealing my LRC award because I would be gob smacked if they took it away (famous last words - I hope not). All I want is the MRC which after taking advice from several sources including my GP I feel is right.

I was thinking I may get LRM but accept it has not been given but if the Tribunal made that award as well I would jump for joy :j
  • concerned43
    concerned43 Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The reply on the appeal form should be short. Just write that you disagree with the decision. Its when the appeal papers come in then you can put in more detail/pictures.
  • luminated
    The reply on the appeal form should be short. Just write that you disagree with the decision. Its when the appeal papers come in then you can put in more detail/pictures.

Thanks you so much for replying but this does contradict the advice I have been given - sorry.

I am not building a case for the actual Tribunal. I am trying to give enhanced information/evidence as I understand the DWP DM looks at the case again once you request an appeal. And I'm told there are cases, that if there is new information, they may issue a revised decision letter which has a much shorter timescale than waiting the very long time for an appeal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure