'Am I really "the most powerful man in retail" as The Grocer magazine says?' blog

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2011 at 8:28PM
    Martin

It must be a nice compliment but I fear it is just a sign of the retailers getting smarter - rather than trying to rubbish you and MSE.com they now shower you with praise and similarly tell us all what saavy consumers we are.

However a recent piece (may have been on the BBC) looked at recent price increases in the UK and Europe to try and see why we were suffering higher inflation than other countries and even after adjusting for exchange rate movements the conclusion was that the British retail environment had actually become less competitive in the last couple of years with retailer margins increasing.

So from me it is 2 cheers only - yes it is nice that companies are paying lip service to consumers rather than just treating them with contempt but the bottom line on margins tells the real story.
    I think....
  • Pmarmalade
    Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
    Not trying to be pedantic :o

But is hotdealsuk.com their typo or yours?
  • Just shows the power of t'internet, Martin. Not so long ago campaigners like yourself were dismissed or treated with contempt by large multi-nationals - now they're playing second fiddle! I'm far happier to see you there than the Tesco boss - all is not lost!
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Power to the people!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

And God bless the Internet.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • I liked "Consumer Revenge" best. There was no 'two ways' about what it meant.
  • geordie_lass_2
    geordie_lass_2 Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    When I first got a tip off about this on Friday, I was sceptical, thinking it frankly rather bizarre. Yet, having read the nomination this lessoned somewhat. The ranking is far less about me and much more about the specific power of the users of MoneySavingExpert.com and the general power of consumers across the UK.
    I don't want to be pedantic (ok, maybe I do :p ), shouldn't that read "lessened"?
  • I'm confused, whose the stand-up comedian, Martin??!
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 24 May 2011 at 9:13AM
    Showing my age now, but have been waiting for this since the Consumers Association was born.
    Both main political parties have a stranglehold on their particular sector, time for the Consumer to use his strength.
    Maybe unfair, but pick a bad product or a bad company or bad labour practice and boycott.
    It happens now on a small scale just make it bigger.
  • I'd swear I read somewhere that the phrase "the customer is always right" was only said by one manager for one particular store - sorry cant remember details! - but somehow this has become generalised to be applied to every company...
    only mention it as Martin used the phrase and I don't believe its ever been the case!
    Let me Google that for you...
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    The Grocer magazine ... sounds like something from "have I got news for you".

Sorry I seem to have mislaid my copy, and you shop at Morrisons? is that an advert in itself, and you get no VIP treatment either?

I wouldn't let the statement go to my head, there is far more to retail than Tesco! especially international. It's nice to be acknowledged and when fame & celebrity beckons & everyone's raising their Champagne glasses and toasting you it's good to remember that this can change and you become old hat and someone else takes the mantel.

From Mr average here I'd step back and see it for what it is. The person has made a hyperbole statement and you are on a high.
    There many advice workers in CABs etc giving out good info too, the MSE is a great site but not the alpha-omega.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure