Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension
Have you served in the military since 1975?
It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.

Pensions

There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
  1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
  2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Contact

Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).

Contact Details:
JPAC Enquiry Centre,
Mail Point 403,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
GLASGOW,
G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
email: [EMAIL="JPAC@spva.mod.uk"]JPAC@spva.mod.uk[/EMAIL]

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that.

Hmm... I served from 1970 to 1980 so I guess I qualify for the 75 thing. But I'm blowed if I know what happens in respect of my service before 75.

I don't think this is worth wasting their time on a phone call if perhaps an email or web query will let me know where I stand.

Does anybody know their on line contact details please?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As I understand you will be entitled to a pension based on 10yrs of service, claimable from age 60..

If you had left in 1974 then there would be no entitlement.

I have edited my post to include the email contact.

The source link within the MOD Intranet is:
    http://www.ipublish.dii.r.mil.uk/nlapps/docs/default.asp?fid=1130
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    does it say to what value the pension is payable, and then too what amount every year you service post the 2 years above.

i remained on the AFPS75, so if i left tomorrow i would have 9 years on my belt for pension at 60.? right.?
  • CHR15
    If you are still serving, you can plug your figures into the ARMED FORCES PENSION CALCULATOR for a forecast of your entitlement when you reach 60yrs of age

Unfortunately the date of leaving must be in the future so it can't work out an entitlement for those who have already left.

@alias - Yes, you are correct. I plugged some random figures for someone leaving this month having served 10yrs and it gave the figures for when you reach 60. :)

The calculator works best in Internet Explorer

Example I used:
    Service RN
    Date of birth: 12-12-80
    Date of Entry: 30-06-1998
    Date of Leaving: 30-06-2008

High Pay Band
    Increment Level 3 on Leaving (£28,951)

Total Time Served: 9yrs 201 days
    Preserved Pension at 60 = £2802
    Terminal Grant at 60 = £8406
    Pension or Revision at 65 = £3658
    Terminal Grant at 65 = £2568

• Alias_Omega
    Though what are the figures for leaving at age 42 after 22 years service for the RAF. Getting to rank of Sgt / CT.

Alias
  • CHR15
    Though what are the figures for leaving at age 42 after 22 years service for the RAF. Getting to rank of Sgt / CT.
    Alias

If you are increment level 7 (I would assume after 22yrs) and remained on the old AFPS75 scheme at the rate of Chief Tech (higher rate)
    Pension Details AFPS 75
    Immediate Pension £11,685
    Terminal Grant £35,055

COMMUTATION
    If you opt for maximum Resettlement Commutation:
    Commutation lump sum £17,130
    Reduced Immediate Pension (until age 55) £9,518

Note: The calculator uses the current AFPS 75 rules on calculating resettlement commutation. Policy is in consultation with the Revenue as to whether the 6 April 2006 change in tax on pensions will affect the calculation. The calculator will be updated once clarification is received.

So you could add £17,130 to your lump sum of £35,055 to give you a lump sum payment of £52,185.

If you fully commuted the £17,130 you would get a reduced Pension of £9,518.
  • Alias_Omega
    CHR15 wrote: »
    If you are increment level 7 (I would assume after 22yrs) and remained on the old AFPS75 scheme at the rate of Chief Tech (higher rate)

So you could add £17,130 to your lump sum of £35,055 to give you a lump sum payment of £52,185.

If you fully commuted the £17,130 you would get a reduced Pension of £9,518.

Best not tell the wife then..
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    CHR15 wrote: »
    As I understand you will be entitled to a pension based on 10yrs of service, claimable from age 60..

If you had left in 1974 then there would be no entitlement.

I have edited my post to include the email contact.

The source link within the MOD Intranet is:
    http://www.ipublish.dii.r.mil.uk/nlapps/docs/default.asp?fid=1130

Thanks for that :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • cjsatc
    cjsatc Posts: 11 Forumite
    "The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped".

Oh dear, I served from 1982 till 1987 but only managed 4 years 255 days! I guess I fall betwen the dates to qualify unless someone knows different. (fingers crossed)
    micheal5kr.gif
  • Please can you help,
    I have been trying to get a calculation of my husband's RAF preserved pension but with no joy forth coming.

He joined the RAF in May 1979 and left after 12 years, at the rank of corporal, in May 1991. His salary was just over £17,000 per year when he left. Can anyone advise me on what his yearly preserved pension will be when he is 60.

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure