Whats the best product to stop limescale in a toilet?

I have just bought a new bathroom suite and am determined to allow no limescale to build up in the toilet!

What do others use either in the cistern or hanging from the side to avoid a limescale build up?

I really want to know as a lot of the products are expensive to try out so Mse'ers knowledge would really come in handy :)
Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!
Cigarettes NOT smoked = 240,945
Smoke free days = 11 Years :T
Cash saved so far = £125,45,11

Comments

• Kleeneze, £4.99 Toilet descaler, it is blimmin fantastic!!!!!
    is officially a GLEEK
  • I used to work in customer service at a toilet manufacturer. You'll only normally get limescale if the cistern is leaking continuously into the pan. Cure the leak and 9 times out of 10 you'll cure the limescale
  • citric acid is the best thing to use to remove limescale. some people have tried white vinegar (acetic acid) its also good to use but i thin it could be a bit too powerful.

safeway limescale remover will do the trick round your bathroom, its trickier in the toilet especially at the bottom of the bowl since its under water
    Certified Resident Wanty Stalker #001 :D

Member No. 69 of all MSE clubs. :whistle:
  • Decent water from your local water supplier.

Ours comes from the Lake District.

:p:p
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • I have heard that Coca Cola is a great toilet cleaner, but have not put it to the test yet. (I read it on here somewhere.)
  • Enjoy
    Enjoy Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My friend has 2 strong magnets in the toilet cistern says its stopped her limescale.
  • oldbat1
    oldbat1 Posts: 45 Forumite
    harpic toilet cleaner (states it removes all limescale,) woosh under the rim and leave - does the trick every time!!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    oldbat1 wrote:
    harpic toilet cleaner (states it removes all limescale,) woosh under the rim and leave - does the trick every time!!

yes me too! regular use needed about once a week and leave overnight without flushing loo. My loo had terrible limescale due to v hard water but now looks like new! Also I gently brush around the rim of the pan and bottom where the water is to loosen any scale at the start ie once i've put the stuff on.
  • If you can get yourself into Makro (or the likes) try the 'Professional' toilet ducks. This one has lovely chemicals in it that actually do the job, not the poorer versions that are sold in supermarkets. - saw this advice on another thread years ago - certainly worked for us.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    I have heard that Coca Cola is a great toilet cleaner, but have not put it to the test yet. (I read it on here somewhere.)
    I have done that, leave it over-night without flushing and it is really good, that was a top tip off 'how clean is your house' xx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure