PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Candle Wax On Wallpaper-Help!

Hi

OH blew out a candle last night and some of the red wax splattered on my new Laura Ashley wallpaper :eek: He has tried removing it with a knife and hasnt done much.

Please give me some advice. I waited 2 years for him to decorate my lounge and he has now buggered it up :mad: Although the wallpaper was reduced to £3.00 a roll from £25-that isnt the point.

If it doesnt come off, there will be more red stuff splattered on the walls later and it wont be wax!! ;)

PP
xxx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    If it doesnt come off, there will be more red stuff splattered on the walls later and it wont be wax!! ;)

Hehe that was funny :D

I'm really not sure what to do as you cant really use the old method of brown paper and an iron on wallpaper can u?!?! ?? Or maybe you can... ?! If your daring!!
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

OH blew out a candle last night and some of the red wax splattered on my new Laura Ashley wallpaper :eek: He has tried removing it with a knife and hasnt done much.
    As above - brown paper, or kitchen towel, and a warm iron.

Then there's likely to be a red stain from the wax colouring which, with a bit of luck, can be dealt with using hair spray - spray on, wipe off.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Bendybops19
    The worse thing you can do is to use an iron thats too hot, as squeaky says, use a warm iron
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    and don't panic if its taking a while to soak off, the slower the better, worked on wallpaper in my hallway, but it was white wax. best of luck.
  • Bendybops19
    Penny-Pincher, did you get the candle wax off?
  • OH just about to do this...wish him luck...lol

PP
    xx
    requires brains!
  • Hey

Have got all the wax off wallpaper but the red stains arent coming off with the hairspray...any other ideas???

PP
    xx
    requires brains!
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Hey

Have got all the wax off wallpaper but the red stains arent coming off with the hairspray...any other ideas???

PP
    xx

Try dabbing with a piece of toilet roll with some aftershave on it, the cheaper the better. work inward from the outside of the stain to avoid spreading it and making the job harder alternatively if your a boots shopper you will no doubt have some of the ruby and milly smudge brushes these are excellent in this situation.

Test a hidden area of the wallpaper for colour fastness first you don't want to make things worse by drawing dye from the paper as that can never be remedied without further decoration.
    HTH
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ben500
    ben500 wrote:
    Try dabbing with a piece of toilet roll with some aftershave on it, the cheaper the better. work inward from the outside of the stain to avoid spreading it and making the job harder alternatively if your a boots shopper you will no doubt have some of the ruby and milly smudge brushes these are excellent in this situation.

Test a hidden area of the wallpaper for colour fastness first you don't want to make things worse by drawing dye from the paper as that can never be remedied without further decoration.
    HTH

This is also brilliant for moving permanent marker prices from plastic/cellophane wrappers if giving for gifts or reselling reduced items!!

• ben500
    ben500 wrote:
    This is also brilliant for moving permanent marker prices from plastic/cellophane wrappers if giving for gifts or reselling reduced items!!
    OMG I have reduced to the depths of quoting myself now!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport