PPI with Legal and General

Hello fellow MSE.

I wonder if any can offer someone who's not too clever with his finance's some help please?

I've been looking over some direct debits going out of the family accounts, and came across a Legal and General one, that I had promsed the wife I'd look into about a year ago.

To cut a long story short, it seems this is a PPI we took out in Feb of 2005.

Now, I do remember writting a letter to Legal and General asking for this to be stopped.

But, nothing happened, and I was too caught up with real life issues (birth of a new baby) to chase things up.

now having had a look at Martins PPI post and read some interesting posts from people in the forums, I'm wondering if this is something we could make a claim on.

After phoneing L&G this morning, it seems this PPI is in
perpetuity (there words not ours).
I asked them, why had I not received any letters or notifications over the last two years while this debit was taken. They responded, they do not contact the customer afterwards.

I've cancelled the debit now over the phone, and asked for the T &C's to be sent to me. But, I was wondering, is this normal practice? Has anyone else been caught out by them? And is this worth pursuing?

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,033
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is it PPI or is it accident, sickness and unemployment cover?

If the latter, then L&G are correct in that it is your responsbility to cancel it if you no longer need it. You should have cancelled the direct debit too.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for you reply, I think it is accident, unemployment cover.

Hopefully the phone call this morning will cancel it. But I will write to them again anyway.

Still, I will try and see if I can claim back for this past years payments.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,033
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Still, I will try and see if I can claim back for this past years payments.

Dont think you will get lucky on that front unless you can prove you sent a cancellation in.

ASU is not PPI and doesnt have the same issues for claiming back.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure