Glucosamine

My GP put me on this quite a while ago to help witharthritis because I didn't want the side effects of conventional drugs. However, in their wisdom, NICE decided to stop prescribing it, so it was stopped. My joint problems are worse now so I've decided to fund myself. Not got much money though, so I'mm looking for good sources of affordable arthritis relief remedies. Ideas anyone?
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can get a glucosamine gel from Home Bargains for 1.99 a tube. Failing that it's actually not that expensive if you shop around for it. The cheapest place I found it in capsule/tablet form when I was taking it was Body Shop. Though again I believe they do it in Home Bargains for no more than a couple of quid.

Have PM'd you as they frown upon medications being named on the forum.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Katykat wrote: »
    My GP put me on this quite a while ago to help witharthritis because I didn't want the side effects of conventional drugs. However, in their wisdom, NICE decided to stop prescribing it, so it was stopped. My joint problems are worse now so I've decided to fund myself. Not got much money though, so I'mm looking for good sources of affordable arthritis relief remedies. Ideas anyone?

All peer reviewed trials I'm aware of - I looked at this 3 years ago for my mom - showed glucosamine had limited, if not no effect.

Have you tried conventional drugs? Side-effects vary with the person, some do not suffer.
  • dori2o
    Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    All peer reviewed trials I'm aware of - I looked at this 3 years ago for my mom - showed glucosamine had limited, if not no effect.

Have you tried conventional drugs? Side-effects vary with the person, some do not suffer.

Even if it is only a placebo effect and the Glucosamine doesn't actually work. If one individual feels some sort of relief from that one medication, surely it is best for them to keep taking it?

OP have you ever tried Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I found this better than Glucosamine on it's own during the time I was able to feel some kind of relief from it.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • I buy mine from here, it's free delivery too and don't forget 15% cashback from Quidco http://www.simplysupplements.net/product/348/glucosamine-sulphate-2kcl-1500mg/
    :grinheart “Truly Great Madness Cannot Be Achieved Without Significant Intelligence.”:grinheart
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    Even if it is only a placebo effect and the Glucosamine doesn't actually work. If one individual feels some sort of relief from that one medication, surely it is best for them to keep taking it?

That's up to them.
    Is it reasonable for us to pay for it is another question.

There needs to be some limit on drugs available on the NHS - and clinical effectiveness would seem a reasonable measure. If NICE made the right decision in this case is arguable, but the trials are pretty mixed.

Addressing least costly.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Glucosamine-Sulphate-1500mg-6-Months-Supply-180-Tablets-_1139810/ - this is 18 months for 60 quid. - 80p/week.

There are 180 tablet packs available from around 10 quid (1500mg) on ebay, but I would be very, very wary of this and similar sources that are not high-street names.

Fake medicines are _common_.
  • dori2o
    Forumite
    That's up to them.

There needs to be some limit on drugs available on the NHS - and clinical effectiveness would seem a reasonable measure. If NICE made the right decision in this case is arguable, but the trials are pretty mixed.

Addressing least costly.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Glucosamine-Sulphate-1500mg-6-Months-Supply-180-Tablets-_1139810/ - this is 18 months for 60 quid. - 80p/week.

There are 180 tablet packs available from around 10 quid (1500mg) on ebay, but I would be very, very wary of this and similar sources that are not high-street names.

I completely disagree.

If a drug is available and it improves the conditions an individual is sufferring from, then it should be made available via the NHS.
    [/SIZE]
  • Soapn
    Soapn Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    The NHS hasn't got an unlimited pot of money, neither has the Benefit pot. Hard decisions have to be made.
    When your life is a mess, stop and think what you are doing before bringing more kids into it, it's not fair on them.
    GLAD NOT TO BE A MEMBER OF THE "ENTITLED TO " UNDER CLASS
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »

Agree with this.

If the person using the product feels some sort of relief, it is better for them to continue using the product, irrespective of whether or not trials have demonstrated limited value.
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    We order ours through Healthspan, and it appears to help my mum's arthritis: http://www.healthspan.co.uk/glucosamine-supplements/
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    That's up to them.

Addressing least costly.

There is a limited amount of money in the pot so would agree that there needs to be a restriction on what's available and that restriction needs to take in account of effectiveness.

I too, would caution buying medication on the internet as tests have shown some to include products such as rat poisons, from memory, so not a good idea to go down that route, unless it is from a reliable source.
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure