PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    annie-c wrote:
    What a lovely day it has been!

Here is a list of what I've sown/planted so far

Chives (struggling with these - can't get further than the 'single blade of grass' stage - any ideas anyone???) :confused:

Still to do:

Strawberries
    Spring Onions
    a few various herbs

How is everyone else getting on?

Annie

I'm def not an expert, but my chives are much better this year than last, they already seem quite thick and bushy - perhaps the plants just need to age a bit:confused:

Currently have lots of bean, tomato and flower seedlings, need some more sun so that can get this lot outside and get planting the rest! Not too much hope at the mo as have just had to put the heating back on!

Am going to try potatoes in up ended grow bags this year and see how I get on!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I now have 6 strawberry plants in a hanging basket, 6 tomato plants bought from B&Q at the weekend (something ate my seedlings!), and tonnes of seeds sown in pots. :j

In seed trays I have peas and broccoli, then in containers I have :
    spinach
    parsnips / carrots
    lettuce - iceberg
    beetroot (these got eaten as well :rolleyes: )
    onions (as did these :rolleyes: )
    Lettuce - salad bowl mixed
    cabbage
    basil
    chives
    coriander
    dill
    mint
    parsley (moss curled 2)

as well as LOADS and LOADS of flowers in the boarders including sweet peas, nasturtium and poppies :D now heres hoping everything survives :shhh: I've even been out and bought clematis and honeysuckle so this year the garden should look FABULOUS
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • kjl26
    kjl26 Posts: 104 Forumite
    katglasgow wrote:
    kjl26 - I got mint reduced down to Woolies for 10p. It came as part of a 4 pack of herbs that was originally £2.99 but because they others had died it was reduced down to peanuts. it was spearmint and quite a nice size. I've planted it into a pot as I remember having mint at a student flat years ago and it took over the whole garden!

Thanks for that - mine is from seed from a packet I got for free at the garden centre (for buying two other packs i think) and I think it's just straight mint. Maybe I need to change varieties?! Or start from a plant. Yes I have been planning to put it in containers too because I heard it was really invasive, but I just can't get past getting a few (out of loads of seeds) really really tiny shoots. Maybe I will go for spearmint. Thanks again! :)
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    kjl26 wrote:
    I've got three tumbler tomatoes, just gone outside in big pots, hope this isn't too early!

I would be very careful about putting tomatoes out yet, they won't stand a frost at all. It does depend on area though but unless you are in an area where the last of the frost has come and gone I would at least protect them at night or bring them back in.

On the mint theme, I got some catmint from Bridgemere garden centre as I had a voucher for a free herb and that's about all they had left, so I thought the cats might like it. One of them ate half the plant! It's now in the mini greenhouse recovering but if I put it out again I'm scared they'll scoff the lot. lol.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • kjl26
    kjl26 Posts: 104 Forumite
    Strepsy wrote:
    I would be very careful about putting tomatoes out yet, they won't stand a frost at all. It does depend on area though but unless you are in an area where the last of the frost has come and gone I would at least protect them at night or bring them back in.

On the mint theme, I got some catmint from Bridgemere garden centre as I had a voucher for a free herb and that's about all they had left, so I thought the cats might like it. One of them ate half the plant! It's now in the mini greenhouse recovering but if I put it out again I'm scared they'll scoff the lot. lol.

Thanks Strepsy. I think I will bring them back in. I got my OH to do all the potting on at the weekend and he did them at the same time as the courgettes and they've all ended up outside...and I just hadn't got round to thinking about whether that was actually sensible. We're in north London and I think the weather report at the weekend said the last frost should have passed but can't be too careful! :)
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    I started by sowing lots of tomatoe seeds in a trays (money maker and tumbler) and they grew really well in a little cheap propagotor on my windowsill. When they were about 2" and had about 4 leaves I put the strongest ones in thier own little pots on the windowsill in the kitchen. This was two weeks ago and they haven't grown since then. the seed leaves appear to be dying and the leaves seem to shrivelling and they just aren't flourishing. Im in Yorks so maybe its the weather or could it be because they are in the kitchen? grease from cooking etc? I also have courgettes on the window sill and green beans and they are doing fine. any advice???:confused:
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We don't have a huge garden and anything edible is being grown in the greenhouse in growbags because we have rabbits coming into the garden. We are also in central Scotland so a bit cooler than down south.

Usually have good crops of courgettes and tomatoes. Trying from seed this year, early shoots coming on courgettes.

Planted an old spud in a growbag and some leaves are showing.

Planted some dwarf beans this weekend

Planted, basil, oregano, borage and thyme.

Starting some lobellia, sunflower seeds and lupins in the greenhouse.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    We had a load off offshoot strawberry plants which have been planted elsewhere - good crop last year.

Our 2 apple trees are begining to leaf - good crop in 2004, average last year.

Have parsley, rosemary, chives in pots from our flat still going strong.

My sage and thyme died off so starting from seed.

Bought a mint plant and aubretia for the rockery.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    My potatoes (Kestrel) are coming up in the pots - I still have a few indoors that I haven't planted, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Maybe I'll sort out another couple of pots to plant them in, though I've used my two big ones!

Tomato plants, both Tumbler and Moneymaker, are still indoors and going strong. The moneymakers look desperate to go outside, poor things, but I don't want to risk it yet.

I sowed some pepper seeds that I saved last year and they are growing into lovely strong seedlings. I don't know if they'll produce fruit but the pepper I saved them from was delicious so it's worth a shot!

The courgette seeds I sowed a few weeks back haven't done a thing, but I still have some in the packet so I shall have another go in a couple of days! No luck with my french beans either. I did leave those to germinate in the mini greenhouse though, so maybe I'll try starting another lot indoors.

Only one lettuce seedling out of about 6 seeds planted in my first sowing direct outdoors. I'm going to put the next lot in a seed tray and then translant outdoors.

The spring onions and radishes I planted outdoors seem to be growing - although someone has nibbled the radish leaves so not all of them are still there.

Garlic coming up in a pot!

I did sow some perpetual spinach, but I'm not sure which seedlings are the spinach and which are weeds while they are so small. ?? I might try sowing some of these indoors for transplant too.

Loads of flowers - petunias, rudbeckias, black-eyed susans, gaillardias . . .

Sounds like quite a lot written down! I still have a lot of the garden to clear though before I can plant much of it out (it was very neglected when we moved in, and though I've been trying my best, I'm only gradually learning how to look after it! Sometimes I get discouraged, but then I realise how much I've already done - my front border looks lovely right now with the tulips I put in last autumn!)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Calephetos
    Calephetos Posts: 93 Forumite
    ellas9602 wrote:
    I started by sowing lots of tomatoe seeds in a trays (money maker and tumbler) and they grew really well in a little cheap propagotor on my windowsill. When they were about 2" and had about 4 leaves I put the strongest ones in thier own little pots on the windowsill in the kitchen. This was two weeks ago and they haven't grown since then. the seed leaves appear to be dying and the leaves seem to shrivelling and they just aren't flourishing. Im in Yorks so maybe its the weather or could it be because they are in the kitchen? grease from cooking etc? I also have courgettes on the window sill and green beans and they are doing fine. any advice???:confused:

They may not like the cooking atmosphere, but how's the light? Our kitchen (well, actually the whole flat...) is pretty pokey and dim, and the only place I can get anything to burst forth is on the windowsills in the front rooms, which are south-ish facing. Tomatoes, IME, love to be warm and cosy, with plenty to drink. If you do a lot of greasy cooking, you may be blocking their 'pores' - I wouldn't flourish in a chippy either ;) Also, try watering from the base - water into the saucer/tray, not the top.

Otherwise, as a complete amateur, all I can say is to give them love, attention and good conversation :):p And that's not me being fluffy; all my plants have flourished and perked up no end when treated like the leafy friends and companions that they are :)

</aging hippy>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport