"Jewellery Haggling" Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• geezadude999
    geezadude999 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 January 2012 at 1:58PM
    Options
    I recently purchased an engagement ring & required the stone to be re-set in platinum rather than the white gold it was set in. The extra cost was £500, however when i asked what their best price in total was they knocked the £500 off straight away! In real terms i received a 12.5% discount on the total.Kerching!
  • yellow_sticker_mum
    yellow_sticker_mum Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 January 2012 at 11:20PM
    Options
    Having just read the guide to high street haggling I would certainly recommend going to an independant jeweller if you want to buy good quality jewellery.
    Over the last few years I have gone to the same small jeweller in a near by town. I haven't bought much, just a few gifts and presents average price £30 -£60 .
    I have also sold unwanted gold jewellery and got a much better deal than the "gold stores" you see advertised.
    My best deal however was when I was looking for a ring for a special occasion. I looked at a few diamond rings and tried them on but the main prize was always there twinkling away in the window. Eventually I moved on to the ring I wanted. It was a considerable jump in price from the rings I had been looking at but inside I already knew it was the one for me.
    I kept a straight face and asked for his best price. I immediatley got 15% off the full price, when I seemed vague and discussed if I should buy the item with my partner I got another 5% off.
    I then hesitantly put it back saying it was lovely etc but way over my price range and went back to the cheaper rings I had originally been looking at. This went on for a while, me trying on the ring I wanted but still maintaining it was too dear and going back as if I was going to buy one of the cheaper rings.
    Eventually the assistant went away and talked to the owner, he came along we discussed the dearer ring , me saying how much I wanted it etc, but it was to dear , couldn't justify the money , but it was a one off event. Eventually I walked out of the shop the ring glittering on my finger having got an amazing 50% off the original price.
    The moral of the story - most independant jewellers will give you 10 -15 % off the ticket price if you ask. It is then up to you, how far you are prepared to haggle but my experience does show it can work.
    PS I have managed to get between 20 -40% off my few items of "good" jewellery. This brings it down to a price that I or the other half could afford but would agree with other forum members you get better quality items than the high street multiples.
    :j
  • mfdehad
    mfdehad Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 October 2013 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Butter color amber is getting more expensive in terms of months. Nevertheless, the costs of work to drill the holes and thread together
    the beads has also experiences a sharp increase. Thus we’re seeing a shortage of material and efforts to manufacture child necklaces at
    the current price level. Here in Amber pieces we have increased the prices by 5% and still trying to supply the beads without fully
    transferring the costs to the customer. We’ll see how long we can continue such strategy, but we’re positive that the current situation is not permanent.
  • McXtravert
    Options
    I recently went into Ernest Jones to look at engagement rings. After several rings and me stating that I liked one in particular etc, it came to the price conversation.

The sales assistant offered 10% off as soon as I started to ho-and-hum over the price (I originally stated my budget deliberately 25% below what I was willing to pay and let her 'convince' me into a more expensive diamond). 5 minutes later, the store manager was involved and I got the future wife to be a ring I originally picked for her, at 17% below the starting price. Job done and the extra money goes towards the wedding fund.
  • Jeff_Craddock
    Options
    JMG4321 wrote: »
    I wanted to buy my husband an Omega seamaster watch for our anniversary (expensive I know but well deserved after 10 years married to me!) and tried the high street jewellers for discounts.

We were about to visit New York so I emailed Mappin & Webb at Heathrow and they quoted me a duty free price of RRP less 17.5% (I didn't really want to buy it in the States in case of any warranty claims). I then explained my situatation to the various jewellers in Watford and nicely said that I was happy to buy it there and then if they could match it. Without too much effort, Goldsmiths & Ernest Jones both offered 10% and Beaverbrooks agreed to match it (and got the sale). My husband also had a go in the similar jewellers around Oxford Street and got no joy at all. Also, a couple of the sales assistants did try the old Omega won't let us discount line which was a bit tenuous as several of their websites had offers on other Omega models.

I have to say that I was very surprised at so many of the retailers being ready to offer discounts and this was back in May when there wasn't so much doom and gloom.

Great idea, you can find best and decent watches in cost effective price at pawn shops. There you can also get variety and multiple choice of omega watches in your budget.
  • naveenaldial
    Options
    Jewelry haggling is familiarly known as barging of products with street vendors, salesperson, or a customer care representative because prices are not fixed. While haggling select the item which you want and confident on yourself don't bother about others opinion while haggling with sales person, Show some interest to buy selected products and always buy with cash if we will follow these steps you will get the product in affordable price.

fullkart

• Guardsman01
    Options
    I'm confident when it comes to buying stuff like cars, TVs and Computers. I decide what I want and look around for the best deal, taking into account factors such as warranty periods, supplier reputation, and so on. I also visit forums and obtain feedback, for example, relating to the levels of after-sales service of different suppliers.

But I am finding myself floundering when it comes to the prospect of buying a diamond ring for my wife. How do I know that the ring I see in the jeweler's window is a good deal or a rip-off? I have no yardstick against which I can assess any given price-tag because, as far as I can see, it's virtually impossible to compare like-with-like.

I'm not looking for the bargain of the century. I just want to buy a ring which is worth what I am paying.

Any advice would be most welcomed.
  • ag19lfc
    ag19lfc Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone been successful haggling at an online jewellers?
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread if you have any other comments or suggestions on jewellery haggling.

MSE Sarah
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure