The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Bannatynes Gym

Hi

Does anyone know or can recommend way to save on membership at Bannatynes health clubs?

There's one locally which a friend and his wife use, but they paid much less than the usual £300 joining fee and have a deal (I think) on their monthly fees.

There's an offer on currently to use the gym for a month for £60, but ideally I'd like to join as a part of a couple at a good rate so we can both go.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations....

Comments

• RosWright
    RosWright Posts: 178 Forumite
    I think it varies from Gym to Gym
    In manchester there are 2 - one - if you join one you can use the gyms anywhere in the country - at the other gym you can join and can only uses the 2 in manchester
    I had a quote of 10 admin/joining then £45 per month (with no fixed term contract) - or 10 admin/joining and £39 with a contract for member for 12 months.
    The facilites & classes also varied a lot. Bannatynes Manchester Quay St was free towels, Bannatynes Manchester Whitworth St was £1 for towel hire.
    Good luck - see what they can do for you!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DH is a member in Bristol, and you don't have to be a 'couple' to join as a couple, IYSWIM. He and one of our elders at church now have a 'couples' membership, which might raise a few eyebrows!

The Club DH uses used to be a LivingWell, it's cheaper as a Bannatynes, and he can use any club in the country, I think. But he now has to pay if he wants towels, so I am left with a pile of grotty smelly towels after his sauna sessions - he uses the sauna regularly to help his eczema.

So, see if there's a friend you can join with - you don't ever have to go together! I am sure the couple you know could introduce you, and you might both get a free gift or something like that, but in the long term being a couple might well work out cheaper.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • It's easy :

i. Make sure you know of another club in the local area and their pricing...

ii. Go into the Bannatyne club (or any in that matter) and ask to get a tour

iii If you like what you see then ask for the rates

iv. Compare to the other rates you already know and then ask for a discount or reduction of joining fee

v. Fib a little (if need be) - say the other club have waived their joining fee and they will need to match the offer or better it

Truely - it works... I have worked around health clubs for 9 years and now is probably the most difficult market conditions - they need your business...

So make sure you don't have to pay the unfair joining fee!!!!

Hope that helps....

I hate Spammers!
  • I just joined over the weekend with my partner and managed to get one membership fee wavered and a free massage for the other half included along with two membership bags. Not too shoddy :)
  • CeePeeBee
    CeePeeBee Posts: 125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    erm....Joining fees? Are you kidding me>?!?!

I'm going to Bannatynes after work today to see about joining. If they even mention joining fees I'm walking out.

I was a member of the Nuffield Health gym near my home and paid about £45 per month...no joining fee.

If it's more expensive than that, and also asks for a joining fee I might need help to leave the premises. Not because I'll be mad and angry...because I'll be laughing at them..hard!
  • Bannatynes appear to be one of the tightest gyms for refusing to budge on fees and then when you leave they won't waive a thing. My friends husband got very serious cancer and was told no way could he go for at least a year due to the risk of infection and he needed an immediate major op.
    They were very difficult when his wife who was also a member explained and insisted he serve the full 3 mths notice and wouldn't let him suspend his membership for the year.
    I know it's their terms and conditions but that place is ruled with a heart of ice and no flexibility.
    Suppose old Dunc has to raise his cosmetic surgery cash somehow - certainly not putting it back into the clubs or any goodwill:mad:
  • That's shocking. I was thinking about joining, but this has really put me off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure