DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Comments

• Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    MrDJB192 wrote: »
    How often do creditors refuse DMP as an option?

I had 12 creditors and only one did not accept the DMP. I spoke to them and they wanted just a little bit more money each month which I was able to do and then they were happy. I built some extra funds into our monthly outgoings by claiming for things I don't have/use like dry cleaning, meals at work and smoking. This gave me some spare cash to fall back on. I know that ultimately it will take me longer to pay back my debt because not every spare penny goes to creditors, however it makes life a lot more bearable.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    debtdawg wrote: »
    Having a bit of a down day today, it's nearly Christmas and we're skint. We'll be in a better position next year, but this year sucks a bit. We've got the main presents for the kids, just need little stocking fillers etc, but I'm still feeling a bit low.

Sorry to hear that DD. Very stressful time Christmas especially when you have children who have lots of expectations. OK so this year sucks but you have a whole year to plan for next Christmas. I start in January by buying up cheap paper and cards etc. reduced in the shops. Post will be expensive this year though with the prices having gone up so much last April.

Hope you are feeling more cheerful soon.

• MrDJB192 wrote: »
    My initial hope disappeared today....nothing really caused it. I had to sit down and write all the letters to my creditors advising that I was attempting to set up a debt management plan and I filled in the rest of the paperwork for stepchange.

Yesterday i was all guns blazing, today the scale of my issues over the last few years has hit me like a ton of bricks. I've become a very negative person and i'm determined to push on to becoming the positive person I used to be - but I have this recurrent mind movie of a call from step change where they basically turn to me with the term - "Creditors say NO!"

How often do creditors refuse DMP as an option?

Hi there,

The DMP journey starts off as a bit of a rollercoaster, if the DMP is your best option, just hang in there and soon enough things will start calming down. For me a DMP was a godsend. I was asked by StepChange (then CCCS) some time ago to do a short blog about my experiences of going on a dmp, you can find it here:

http://moneyaware.co.uk/2011/09/my-debt-hell/

All the best, and welcome.

SAAC
  • Hi All

I hope your DMP are all running smoothly.

After reading a few posts today regarding the sale of debts to external companies a thought popped into my head that many of you have probably had at some point in the past to.

If the creditor is willing to sell the debt to a DCA at such a massive discount then why can't they offer that price to the struggling debtor, as long as they can prove that they are struggling etc.
  • debtdawg wrote: »
    Having a bit of a down day today, it's nearly Christmas and we're skint. We'll be in a better position next year, but this year sucks a bit. We've got the main presents for the kids, just need little stocking fillers etc, but I'm still feeling a bit low.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down in the dumps. Christmas can be a tough time of year, especially when you are skint :(

I know it doesn't help this year but GUO's idea of starting in January is a good one and I will be buying birthday presents and even next year's Christmas gifts in the January sales.

We are having a quiet Christmas and have been buying something each week towards it, moving the budget around to do this. Have only got fresh food to buy now and that is paid for from saving up on a Sainsburys gift card.

Have only bought gifts for our daughter and granddaughter. Lots of granddaughter's gifts are little cheap things we have picked up during the year in charity shops or car boot sales and her main present is a Furby which I bought with Amazon gift vouchers from completing surveys.

From my experience kids just care about having a pile of stuff to open and they don't care if it comes from Harrods or the Pound shop. I know some of granddaughter's favourite presents in the past have come from discount shops like The Works, BM or Home Bargains and they have been played with and the expensive stuff ignored.

Take care
    TTFTM
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I can't believe it - no more angry birds:(

OH dropped the Ipad on a stone floor and it is sadly no more. Going to see if it can be fixed but it is another expense when the budget is stretched to the max for the upcoming festivities. Going to sulk nowsigh.gif

• Growurown wrote: »
    I can't believe it - no more angry birds:(

OH dropped the Ipad on a stone floor and it is sadly no more. Going to see if it can be fixed but it is another expense when the budget is stretched to the max for the upcoming festivities. Going to sulk nowsigh.gif

No more Angry Birds?

Two answers to that:

1) Download it on your phone

or 2)

angry-birds.jpg

Sorry about your iPad and hope it can be sorted :(
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Download it on your phone

I have a rubbish phone:(

• Hi there,

The DMP journey starts off as a bit of a rollercoaster, if the DMP is your best option, just hang in there and soon enough things will start calming down. For me a DMP was a godsend. I was asked by StepChange (then CCCS) some time ago to do a short blog about my experiences of going on a dmp, you can find it here:

All the best, and welcome.

SAAC

Thank you all for your quotes again. They have all really helped. I do have my own blog going at the moment which does seem to be helping but I also really like that people here can put the virtual arm around and the virtual kick up the backside.

Today has been another difficult day. I've spent over a year lying to my partner about how much trouble I've been in and its made home-life difficult. She's assisting me with budgets and has taken all cards and logins away from me and she does seem to want to help. Things are just a tad awkward right now - I feel stupid, useless and lost.

As i said, another below average day today but I believe this may be down to being unable to do anything now. I'm on edge that all my creditors will not agree and because I'm now playing the waiting game for all this to be sorted, I feel a tad useless.

I made the decision to fix this (with help from everywhere i can) and i cannot do anything more than I have done. I just wish i could.
    LBM - Dec 2012 (just under £27,000)
    DMP - Jan 2013 - Aug 2017

Aiming for DFD of Dec 2015
  • iPad could still be worth a bit for spares :-)
    Debt @ 17/11/12: £12,017 :embarasse. Hoping to be debt free by June 2014 :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure