Getting out of Mobile contract with Orange

I have a 18 month mobile phone contract with Orange and I want to terminate/cancel the contract due to the obsurd prices they charge if you go over your minutes, I want out with this company have tryed to lower my tarriff so that termination fee would be lower, I am on a £35 a month tarriff and have been told I am not eligable to been put on the lowest tariff (£15.00). My contract runs out in September and I have been informed to cancel would cost me £350.00 to get out of this. I am not paying those robbing gits that amount especially for line rental I'm not using. Im thinking of not paying my next bill and see if they terminate me. Does anyone have any advice what I could do.
Thanks.

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    If you dont pay your bill it can have implications on your credit rating

How many minutes do you get per month and how far over do you go? ie, what is your usage

I am with orange and my 18 month contract was due to run out in april however I was able to upgrade/change my contract in january - ie, month 16, I think I had to pay £25 but I got the charge for my new phone waived (£30) so it worked out alright in the end
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • hjb123 wrote: »
    If you dont pay your bill it can have implications on your credit rating

How many minutes do you get per month and how far over do you go? ie, what is your usage

I am with orange and my 18 month contract was due to run out in april however I was able to upgrade/change my contract in january - ie, month 16, I think I had to pay £25 but I got the charge for my new phone waived (£30) so it worked out alright in the end

I only went over by 200 minutes and this came to an extra £70.00 on my bill which I went through the bill when it cam and most calls only cost an extra few pence but them seems to total up to £70.00, I already have 500 minutes in my tariff, I cant understand why it adds up to so much its day light robbery. After this im going back to pay as you go!
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I want to terminate/cancel the contract due to the obsurd prices they charge if you go over your minutes,.
    those prices are pretty similar to other networks, dont think you will find it much better with others
    and you should have known/checked what these prices would be when you took the phone!
    if your using more mins than in your plan change to a plan which will give you more inclusive mins, if you want help with that put up your usage over the last 3/4 months and people should be able to recommend something which will be better for you
    Im thinking of not paying my next bill and see if they terminate me.
    that will do nothing but ruin your credit rating and get the baliffs after you
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    are you going to be using that sort of amount of minutes each month or was it a one off?
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I only went over by 200 minutes and this came to an extra £70.00 on my bill which I went through the bill when it cam and most calls only cost an extra few pence but them seems to total up to £70.00, I already have 500 minutes in my tariff, I cant understand why it adds up to so much its day light robbery. After this im going back to pay as you go!
    thats right 35p per min, is your bill itemised? you should be able to see where you went over,
    if not go to an orange store they can see your itemised bill usually or ring the billing dept for clarification

depending on the number of texts you send may be worth changing to the racoon 35 instead of the dolphin 35(what it sounds like your on) which will give you 700mins instead of 500 but only 100 texts and unlimited landline calls aswell
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Ladygrim
    Ladygrim Posts: 739
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Charliegirl,

Bad news Im afraid. You agreed and signed into this contract knowing it was for 18 months, and knowing if you went over your free minutes you would be charged. Orange are well within their rights (which you agreed to by taking on the contract) to charge you for breaking the contract early.

Why not just get a pay as you go phone. Use your free Orange minutes until September. And then use your pay as you go when those free minutes are gone. So youve got 2 phones for a few months.

Then, after September, cancel the Orange contract.

HTH

LG
    working hard at this thing called life
  • hello,

sorry to bring an old thread up.

I have an issue where Im in my 2nd month of my 24 month contract with orange.

Is there any possible way to get out of this?

thanks
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not as rule, what the issue ?
  • d.m_3
    d.m_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    I dont think there's much you can actually do... you should have known how much you were going to spend. Tbh it's always better to pay a little extra for a lot more minutes and save the hassel of paying out a lot if you were to actually go over on a cheaper contract.. £30 for 1200 mins on orange is actually something like 2.5p a minute, and when u consider unlimited data / texts it could be as low as 1p am in, thats landline-standard costs.. who pays 35p a min anymore? LOL
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just a side thought - if more people try to get out of these long term 18, 24 month contracts - we might get back to good old 12 month contracts - I live in hope - come on ye people start moaning - I want more 12 month offers on the market. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure