Moving Gas Meter

gizmos
gizmos Posts: 359
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi

We are looking at moving our gas meter and have requested the information from Transco no less than four times and never received anything. Apparently its a standard pack that they send out - does anyone happen to have one of these they can scan/email to me or indeed post on.

Also any advice gratefully received. Only want to move the meter approximately 2ft in order for us to install a garage door

Comments

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 563
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Send an e-mail to this address, complaints.ds@uk.ngrid.com
    should get them moving, if not, contact your supplier, they sometimes have a supply. If you get really stuck then contact Energywatch.

You were able to download part of the pack but now we have changed from Transco to NGT there doesn't seem to be anything on the website for downloads. The pack also includes your application form with carbon paper etc so cannot be printed out in full.

Hope this helps!
  • Bri_2205
    Bri_2205 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Your gas supplier should be able to sort this out for you.
  • gizmos
    Forumite
    Thanks all got pack sent today from Fulcrum Connections. It looks like it will cost me at least £279 - and its the same if i want to move it two inches or two metres - ah well - lets see
  • bigdom
    bigdom Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi- I'm new to this website so still finding my way around. I have a simple question. We currently have a gas meter in a white box on the external wall on the side of the house. We are building an extension so the meter will now be on an internal wall inside the garage (ie not moved) But, National Grid say we have to move it then they say we don't ! Powergen (our supplier) won't reply. Does the meter have to be moved to an external wall or can it remain unmoved ?
  • gizmos
    Forumite
    I would say that you should be OK to leave it it - I'm sure tht people Iknow have left theres when building out
  • SKIPPY
    SKIPPY Posts: 294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Haven't got a gas meter myself but when parents built a new house a few years back (13 when I've thought about it) Dad had both the gas and electric meters put inside the garage with no problem.
  • stopthespends
    stopthespends Posts: 257 Forumite
    Pm for you
    cc.£4265.
    loans!!!
    stay focused!!!

• Blue_Lou
    Blue_Lou Posts: 165 Forumite
    I requested the pack from National Grid. The prices for moving the meter are as follows:

Band Alteration Length
    1 0-2metres £460.60
    2 >2-6 metres £581.63
    3 >6-10metres £736.73
    4 > 10-15 metres £905.93
    5 > 15-20metres £1084.53

Disgusting isn't it?
  • We applied to have our meter moved by using the online form on the Transco site, (printed off and posted with a cheque).Having paid the 600.00 the meter was moved within 6 weeks, an initial survey was done within 3 weeks, and the whole job finished within 6. I can't fault the service, they arrived when they said, and inspectors came both during the initial disconnection and subsequently wthe re-connection was taking place. I could have got someone for 100.00 to do it 'on the side' but Gas isn't to be taken lightly so thought that although a bit pricey that the service was great.Hopefully this is a general improvement, incidentally we're in the East Midland area.KJ.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Kimcaf wrote: »
    We applied to have our meter moved by using the online form on the Transco site, (printed off and posted with a cheque).Having paid the 600.00 the meter was moved within 6 weeks, an initial survey was done within 3 weeks, and the whole job finished within 6. I can't fault the service, they arrived when they said, and inspectors came both during the initial disconnection and subsequently wthe re-connection was taking place. I could have got someone for 100.00 to do it 'on the side' but Gas isn't to be taken lightly so thought that although a bit pricey that the service was great.Hopefully this is a general improvement, incidentally we're in the East Midland area.KJ.

Plus meter tampering is illegal so you could have ended up in court for it. Not sure on gas but Distributors in elec have started prosecuting builders in the last few years as they keep doing things thye shouldn't 'on the side'.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure