Stop Spam Texts:
Beat unsolicited, premium & marketing SMS Article

Please click reply to discuss

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2011 at 8:44PM
    There is marketing spam and there are scams.

Resist trying to fire off the STOP message unless you are 100% sure its not a scam or you end up with more garbage.

Networks and people at Ofcom could do more to inform customers more - set up a single dedicated industry standard spam reporting tool.

I see the article has no reporting number for T-mobile and Three (7726 number).

I tried once tried reporting a spam text to ICO using the casework email in that article - I got a reply telling me to complain in writing (despite the fact I sent them all the information - the number of the spam text and the content of the text). And it was a human being replying not a machine. Complete jobsworth.They were useless.
  • Guys, I have been swamped with spam texts for months. I don't know what I signed up for but my details were obviously sold many times. I have tried the Telephone Preference Service (all my landlines/fax etc. are registered there and it works for them) which cannot help for mobiles or text in the same way. As mentioned above the ICO doesn't have the resources. I have tried the PhonePayPlus service in the article but it doesn't identify any number that I put in so is a waste of time too in my opinion. Can anyone get a number recognised there?

About two weeks ago my friend pointed me to an Iphone app called Stop Mobile Spam. I use an Iphone so tried it. I have had just two spam texts since I registered there (PPI and the interminable £3750 for that accident that I know nothing about). That is down from about 20 a day. This worked for me.

I think a bit more research is needed on this article as it is a major problem for a lot of people and most of the services in the article simple don't or can't help.

Incidentally I think I read that you can do this on Android too but I don't have an Android phone so can't check that. Perhaps Martin can update this?

I hope this helps.
  • womble_lancs
    womble_lancs Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OneADay wrote: »
    I see the article has no reporting number for T-mobile and Three (7726 number).

I rang T-Mobile on 7 June 2011 to complain about the spam/scam SMS messages and they said that they could activate a system which blocks third-party SMS messages. I haven't had one of them since, but it has only been a couple of weeks.
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use iBlackList which is an iPhone app to block spam texts and calls, it only works on jailbroken iPhones which is unfortunate as it does a great job, intercepting the calls and spam texts before your phone rings so there is no need to pay any attention to them.

Apple block the features it uses though so jailbreaking is necessary :mad:
  • burgesst
    burgesst Posts: 43 Forumite
    I received spam texts and forwarded them to O2 on the number given.

But when I forward a text, it doesn't include the sender's number, so how do O2 know who sent it? Can they look it up in their archives ?
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    The 'spammer' enters an agreement with and pays the bulk sms company to send the text messages.

The bulk sms company enters an agreement and pays the Mobile Network Operator to deliver the text messages to their customers.

the whole sham is protected by Ofcom and the ICO

poachers and gamekeepers
  • markbrennan
    markbrennan Posts: 13 Forumite
    unfortunately when you forward spam to the vodafone number, they reply with the advice to text STOP......... not helping!
  • Gary_Bury
    Gary_Bury Posts: 6 Forumite
    There are a few problems with the Stop Spam SMS Article that I’d like to attempt to clarify.

Importantly though, I run a text message company called mediaburst, we hate spam just as much as you do. There is really no place for it in the industry; it destroys what is otherwise a great form of communication.

Legitimate Marketing Messages

Legitimate marketing messages will NOT always carry the senders name and number at the top. The standard way to opt out of a premium SMS is to reply STOP to the 5 digit short code it came from. Because this way of opting out is instant it’s been adopted for non-premium SMS.
    So you may indeed receive a legitimate marketing SMS from a 5 digit shortcode or long number because the sender is providing you with an easy way to opt out i.e. reply to the message with STOP and be instantly removed.

On our website we provide guidance for anyone searching for what to do when they receive an SMS from one of our shortcodes, (I'd post a link, but as a newbie to the forum I'm not allowed, go and search google for "SMS 84433" and you'll find it). I wish more suppliers would do the same.

Spam Texts:

Martin suggests they spam by using randomly generated numbers, but this is unlikely to work anymore. Most of the network providers are wise to this and monitor the delivery rate of text messages from any single source. Guessing at random numbers is unlikely to get a high delivery rate and the sender will be cut off. Same applies for lists of consecutive numbers.

Ambulance chasers

The biggest problem we face is that accident, PPI claims, debt write off companies will pay a high rate of commission to receive validated leads. So the spammers will purchase data from one of the hundreds of companies selling data. They then send text messages through legitimate SMS providers, usually the cheapest ones they can find (thankfully not mediaburst). They only need a small response rate of 1% or 2% and the commission they earn will make the whole exercise justified.

Martin suggests that by responding you are validating your number.

Don’t worry about this, they have already validated your number without you responding, and you can't prevent it.

Every single text message sent through a network operator is tracked, and when it gets delivered to a mobile handset your handset sends a message back to the network to say it’s received the message.

This "delivery receipt" message is relayed to the spammer and hence they now know your number is legitimate. If they send to a number that doesn’t exist they receive a message back telling them it doesn’t exist.

My advice:

The clearest indication that it’s legitimate marketing is that somewhere in the message it will clearly identify who sent the message, and you should have heard of them.

If you received it from, or in any place in the message it contains a 5 digit shortcode then DO text STOP to that number. This opt out mechanism is automated and does work, and don’t worry about validating your number, that’s already happened.

Unlike email spam every single text message has to be paid for, if, for example they are trying to generate leads for a PPI or debt reconstruction company then the chances are they’ll be happy to remove you from their list because, if you’re not interested you’re simply a cost they could do without.

Complaining to Network Providers

Many people are unhappy with the response they get when complaining to network providers but don’t let this put you off. Network providers do not want spam and they will help identify the source.

Apologies this turned into a longer post than anticipated. I hope it helps.
  • HellBoy_2
    HellBoy_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    just forwarded a spam message to o2 (7726) got a message back from them

Your SPAM complaint has been noted and forwarded to our customer care operation. Thank you
  • On the Main Page i read about Stopping Spam Texts and How to see if it is spam. As a professional within the mobile marketing industry. I would like to make things clear to both consumers and companies reporting on an industry to which they are not being clear.

Mobile Marketing via SMS is an effective way for business to contact consumers either for third party marketing offers or with information such as appointment reminders etc.

A company can contact you with third party marketing messages if they have prior consent, (opt-in), this may have been through lifestyle questionnaires, product registration documents etc, however consumers should always check the privacy policy and terms and conditions regarding the passing of their data to third party companies.

You the Consumer must have provided your details within the past 6 months, in line with the Electronic Communications Act 2003, and the DMA Code of Practice, and OFT Guidelines.

This website is correct with some information, the sender must have their company name within the body of the text message, and if contacted by the consumer must provide information as to where they obtain the consumers mobile number.

This website states that SPAM texts come from long numbers, which look like typical mobile numbers. That is absolute rubbish!! There are two types of sms marketing messages, Bulk SMS, and 2 -Way SMS. These can come from either a 5 digit short-code as the sender ID (from) a 11 character name, or a long number (which looks like a mobile number) a long number does not mean it is spam, it means that replies can be detected by the mobile networks and delivered to the company which has sent the message (this includes Stop Requests/opt outs).

I understand that the article was written with some mis-guided information, they think everyone is causing consumer harm, instead of educating the consumer. There are companies out there that have been using illegal practices to send bulk sms messages which look like coming from a typical mobile number, products like SMS Caster which enable you to put a sim card into a computer. but there are 1,000's of reputable companies which use reputable network connections which routes include long numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure