Advise for a problem with my Vauxhall Zafira.

Options

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understood that later Vauxhalls used EPS (Electronic Power Steering) in which case there is no hydraulic pump or fluid.

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=92107
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    The Corsa and my Meriva use this electric system but not the Zafira. The OPs is a 2000 car anyway. The 2007 handbook specifically refers to an electro-hydraulic system. That is the laterst version as there isn't a 2008 edition on Vx website. Whether there is and Vx now fit the all electric system to the Zafira I don't know. However, I test drove a 2008 Zafira last January and that had electro- hydraulic steering, I asked. Hopefully they don't as the EPS system is prone to v. expensive faults! I'm dreading the day when the steering column mounted motor fails on my car, quite a lot do.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was not sure which Vauxhall models had EPS, I knew the Corsa used one as I had one that went faulty and cost a fortune to repair, fortunately it was a leased car and under warranty so it was not my bank balance that was affected.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    catowen wrote: »
    Oil, water and tyres i can do (and do)- have never checked the brake fluid or power steering fluid, so will have a look in the book this afternoon. Hopefully it will just be that and nothing too serious.

It's dead simple. The reservoir usually has a cap on it with a dipstick attached to the underside with a high and low level in. They only need a little fluid to top up so no need to go buying huge bottles of the stuff.

If the fluid is low, once you've topped it up start up the engine and move the steering fully to the left then fully to the right a couple of times, turn it off and recheck the level.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    dillydilly wrote: »
    ha - I probably know a bit more about car engines than the majority of car owners, but I wouldn't have a clue about the current state of my power steering fluid levels - it never moves so I never look at it - its not like oil which burns off over time, it just stays there (same with brake and clutch fluid). Which suggests there probably is a fault with the power steering motor

Power steering fluid also gets contaminated. It should be a clear light cherry colour.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    some cars are belt driven some are battery powered

When my battery went the first thing to go was the power steering
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Any idea how much this might cost - will be going to a local garage, not a Vauxhall dealer (they def charge a lot more down here in the South West!!!)

Im assuming it will be a problem with the power steering.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Car in the garage - its the alternator!!!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    Could be there's some kind of cut out for the motor which drives the steering hydraulic pump when the alternator is not pushing out enough electrickery causing a low voltage in the battery? That would make sense of the diagnosis!
    I have heard of instances with EPS (all electric) systems giving problems too when there's a duff battery/alternator.
    Maybe it is an EPS system? If so I stand humbly corrected!

i think the alternator must supply current direct to the steering motor.

just guessing?
    ...work permit granted!
  • r1cks
    Options
    I 've had a similar problem with my "Y" reg Zafirqa with the steering suddenly going had with no warning.
    Luckily I have a friend who works for a local Vauxhall approved dealership as a technician and so I thought I would pass the relevant info on to you guys.
    There are 2 different pumps depending upon the year of manufacture, both are electro mechanical pumps so therefore there are no belts to worry about.
    The 2 models of pump are only available from Vauxhall direct (unless you know somewhere else that supplies an equivalent) and these are :
    TIW approx £289 (on the older models up to 2001/2002)
    Delco Gen 2 £400 (normally on the newer post 2001 models)
    Dealer prices for supply and replace is approx £690 dependant on model and area you live in.
    I'm just taking the hit from a local garage that i've used for years at £400 +vat for replacing the TIW pump as I am having the timing belt replaced at the same time (due every 40k miles) so shop around a bit, theres not much you can do about the pump price but you can reduce the labour costs a little :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure