cancelling tv licence

please can someone direct me to where I can cancel my TV licence. After the Brand Ross fiasco I do not want to contribute to anymore wages for these2 morons.

Comments

• torikate
    torikate Posts: 140 Forumite
    You can phone them and tell them you want to cancel it. Also do it through your bank if you pay by dd. Just make sure you only do this if you are actually not going to own a tv anymore as they will do checks and you could end up with a nasty fine. Hth.
    Tori x
    Total Debt start June 09 £11,083.03
    Current debt £1,200 :T
    :footie: To dare is to do....COYS :footie:

• superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    torikate wrote: »
    You can phone them and tell them you want to cancel it. Also do it through your bank if you pay by dd. Just make sure you only do this if you are actually not going to own a tv anymore as they will do checks and you could end up with a nasty fine. Hth.
    Tori x

Owning a TV has got nothing to do with needing a TV license. The TV license is for watching or recording broadcast TV in the UK. Simply having a TV or using it for other things doesn't require you to have a license.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,566
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My advice would be to do the cancellation in writing sent by recorded mail and keep all copies of any letters you send and receive.
    You will be hounded by the TV Licensing for ever and a day if you do not do this sort of thing properly
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    My advice would be to do the cancellation in writing sent by recorded mail and keep all copies of any letters you send and receive.
    You will be hounded by the TV Licensing for ever and a day if you do not do this sort of thing properly

Personal experience says you could end up being hounded even if doing things properly. Happened to me and all I did was cancel (through TVLA directly) and move back with my parents who already had a license.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    excuse my ignorance but do you only need a licence if you watch bbc or am i wrong
  • likabu_2
    likabu_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    You need a tv licence if you watch tv regardless of whether you watch BBC or not.

Lisa
    Brassic!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    mrs_lds wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but do you only need a licence if you watch bbc or am i wrong

I'm afraid you need to have a licence to watch or record from the television.
    Owning a TV has got nothing to do with needing a TV license. The TV license is for watching or recording broadcast TV in the UK. Simply having a TV or using it for other things doesn't require you to have a license.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    You also need a TV license if you use a radio.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,766
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    myrnahaz wrote: »
    You also need a TV license if you use a radio.

no you don't (assuming that's all you use)
  • ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK Posts: 728
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You need a license if you own any items of equipment that can be used to recieve a broadcast, they are in the process of trying to include computers since the launch of online streaming. That is regardless of whether you use it for that or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html
    Coming up to my 7th year on this site so I figured I should get me a signature!

I am now a DTD Addict
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport