Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Stompa wrote: »
    Don't buy 'Aldi Summerlite, Low Fat Sunflower Spread'. It has a major design fault - it doesn't melt when you spread it on hot toast.
    I think a lot of low fat spreads are a bit like that, they don't melt in the same way as full fat does, that's why they usually say not suitable for cooking with (not that spreading marg on toast classifies as cooking,well not for most of us). Can be a bit unappetising I use the St Ivel one sometimes and it's almost jellylike when you put it on toast YUK
    Booo!!!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Violetta wrote: »
    I think a lot of low fat spreads are a bit like that, they don't melt in the same way as full fat does, that's why they usually say not suitable for ccoking with (not that spreading marg on toast classifies as cooking,well not for moast of us).

Thanks, that's interesting. I don't recall ever seeing this with other similar products, but perhaps I wasn't taking sufficient notice!
    Stompa
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    A must buy for all Beer Hunters at Aldi 6 x 500ml cans 4.7% Oettinger Pils in a cardboard pack in the chiller next to the milk.

A steal at £4.29.

Full spec brewed to the German Reinhietsgebot Purity Law by Oettinger Brauerei of Gotha.
  • Some more tips, tastings and discussion here - those mushrooms sound good, so does the macadamia nut chocolate.............
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2008/05/the_price_is_completely_right.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,200
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks to all for this thread - we're going to have a wander around our local Lidl later on and do some price-matching against our last Tesco receipt! Some good ideas for stuff worth having in here!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • icecubequeen
    icecubequeen Posts: 658 Forumite
    Aldi:

root vegetable crisps (sweet potato, carrot, beetroot & parsnip) £1.29
    frozen mozarella dippers with sweet chilli sauce 10 pack £1.49 (I'm in love with these at mo :D lol)
    frozen jaleopeno pepper cheese bites with sweet chilli sauce 10 pack £1.49 (again I loveeeeeeeeee these :D lol)
    Part baked baguettes 2 pack 39p (ideal for making garlic bread)
  • Schamansky
    Schamansky Posts: 621 Forumite
    stamford wrote: »
    A must buy for all Beer Hunters at Aldi 6 x 500ml cans 4.7% Oettinger Pils in a cardboard pack in the chiller next to the milk.

A steal at £4.29.

Full spec brewed to the German Reinhietsgebot Purity Law by Oettinger Brauerei of Gotha.

It's allright if you like it. Oettinger is actually Germany's cheapest beer, going at € 6.99 for a 20*500ml bottles crate and extremely popular in the motherland because of this price, although quite a mediocre brew, to put it in a friendly way. It's drinkable, but definitely at the lower end of the scale. Still, at that price, they're shifting lakes of it in Germany, since other brands cost up to twice as much. The brewery is expanding and expanding, buying up capacities left, right and centre.

Here they are:
    http://www.oettinger-beer.com/english/index.htm

For the UK, £4.29 for 6*500ml cans is quite a rip-off, even with UK taxes on booze taken out of the picture.

All in all, Oettinger is ok where value for money is the main motive, but there's definitely better stuff out there. Get the Wernesgrüner. :)
  • Schamansky
    Small thumbs up to Aldi for - Klassiek Dutch Lager £2.49 for 6 x 330ml bottles. Not a patch on their German brews but a cheap thirst quenching 5% neck juice

That's the Bavaria brewery, Lieshout, the Netherlands behind it.

https://www.bavaria.com

Bavaria NL make the best non-alcoholic malt available in Britain (maybe apart from German Clausthaler), both sold at Morrisons for a reasonable price.

Aldi have it with their weekly specials at the end of the year (for the poor guy who has to do the driving at New Year's Eve celebrations). Aldi brand it "Hollandia", but it's the same stuff. 99p for 4*330ml cans.

I mix it with 1:1 orange lemonade, that's what Germans call "Alsterwasser". Very refreshing.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Schamansky wrote: »
    It's allright if you like it. Oettinger is actually Germany's cheapest beer, going at € 6.99 for a 20*500ml bottles crate and extremely popular in the motherland because of this price, although quite a mediocre brew, to put it in a friendly way. It's drinkable, but definitely at the lower end of the scale. Still, at that price, they're shifting lakes of it in Germany, since other brands cost up to twice as much. The brewery is expanding and expanding, buying up capacities left, right and centre.

Here they are:
    http://www.oettinger-beer.com/english/index.htm

For the UK, £4.29 for 6*500ml cans is quite a rip-off, even with UK taxes on booze taken out of the picture.

All in all, Oettinger is ok where value for money is the main motive, but there's definitely better stuff out there. Get the Wernesgrüner. :)

Thanks for the info S - I think you are being a bit harsh ;) on Aldi calling it a rip off ! - £1.43/litre for 5% lager isn't bad in my book think what the rest of the supermarkets charge for chemical swill like Stella or Kronenbourg
  • Schamansky
    Thanks for the info S - I think you are being a bit harsh ;) on Aldi calling it a rip off ! - £1.43/litre for 5% lager isn't bad in my book think what the rest of the supermarkets charge for chemical swill like Stella or Kronenbourg

I'm just spoilt. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport