CSA1 - does income include student loans and grants?

2»

Comments

• drsue2012
    drsue2012 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Thanks kelloggs36. I understand the rules are different - but where are the rules? Are they available to mere mortals? Is there some document or publication that I can look at?
  • drsue2012
    drsue2012 Posts: 18 Forumite
    If anyone else is interested - I contacted the CSA Helpline and I asked them:
    If a full time student is in receipt of a student maintenance grant, a student maintenance loan and a university bursary, and also has a part-time job - assessed income under the old CSA scheme (pre-2003) will only take into account his part-time job earnings as income?

They replied:

Thank you for your email to the Child Support Agency.

A full time student is exempt from paying maintenance, and is entitled to work part time up to 24 hours per week without it affecting the assessment. Please see below for guidance on nil assessments:

A small number of Non-Resident Parents do not have to pay child maintenance.

These include:
    · Students in full time education (full-time means 12 hours education per week at a recognised school or college).
    • Young people (aged 16 to 19) in full-time non-advanced education (that is, up to A level, NVQ level 3 or equivalent);
    • Prisoners.
    • People living in a nursing home or residential care, which are receiving help with fees.

I'm still a little sceptical though - with the reputation CSA have and I have not seen this information written anywhere else!
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They used to be online but they took them off!!! I will check the orange volumes (still available online) to be sure, but the decision makers' guide was removed a while ago and this was what they used.
  • Hi, I am in the same-ish boat but its CSA 2 i think. Does any kind person know where I stand? I am off to uni in sept. I will be getting a part time nhs bursary and student loans. I am also eligible for child tax credits. My husband pays CSA for his 2 children and the child tax credits are taken into account with his earnings. So while i am at uni he will be the main carer for our children so wont be at work. Does this mean that the csa will assess our payments on the income from my student loans and CTC~??? i know when he was out of work before and I was at work the CTC where used to calculate a payment to the csa but not my earnings.
    Once we know when I am busy at uni then he can go to work around my timetable but to start with it will be like this, Anyone know anything about this?? apologies if I have posted this is the wrong place
  • mrsspendalot
    mrsspendalot Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Hi, I am in the same-ish boat but its CSA 2 i think. Does any kind person know where I stand? I am off to uni in sept. I will be getting a part time nhs bursary and student loans. I am also eligible for child tax credits. My husband pays CSA for his 2 children and the child tax credits are taken into account with his earnings. So while i am at uni he will be the main carer for our children so wont be at work. Does this mean that the csa will assess our payments on the income from my student loans and CTC~??? i know when he was out of work before and I was at work the CTC where used to calculate a payment to the csa but not my earnings.
    Once we know when I am busy at uni then he can go to work around my timetable but to start with it will be like this, Anyone know anything about this?? apologies if I have posted this is the wrong place

They won't count any income from your student loans, but they may count the CTC. I say may because they don't always. Seems to depend who you speak to! I would plan for them to count it and then at least you won't get any surprises.
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

:j BabySpendalot arrived 26/6/11 :j
  • kelloggs36 wrote: »
    They used to be online but they took them off!!! I will check the orange volumes (still available online) to be sure, but the decision makers' guide was removed a while ago and this was what they used.

For CS2 there's no such thing as the decision maker's guide these days, there's just online business procedures (well, on the CSA's intranet), which are updated quite often.
  • Thankyou Mrsspendalot I will err on the side of caution they are a little tricky to deal with at times
  • sorry me again...do you know if my husband should sign on while i am a student as he will be not employed for a time? He is self employed at the moment so how does that work? again if i am annoyingly in the wrong place in the forum i apologise .
  • mrsspendalot
    mrsspendalot Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    sorry me again...do you know if my husband should sign on while i am a student as he will be not employed for a time? He is self employed at the moment so how does that work? again if i am annoyingly in the wrong place in the forum i apologise .

He should only sign on if he is going to be actively looking for work.
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

:j BabySpendalot arrived 26/6/11 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport