PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone heard of Freehold Managers Ltd?

Comments

• aah
    aah Posts: 520 Forumite
    try this one:

http://www.freeholdmanagers.co.uk/

They are either the landlords of my leasehold flat or the agents for the landlord. Getting information out of them is a nightmare.

I am trying to buy the freehold which they are apparently prepared to sell. My GR is £50 and I guess it would be the same for the other. On your extrapolation it would appear that they would want £60k for the freehold of my (two flat) building. They can sing for it. And I will make sure that I get the right to manage the lease.

A.
  • KMW1976
    KMW1976 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I received a letter from them saying we owe ground rent on our property and are in arrears for the last 8 years! We have only owned the property for 2 and have paid the ground rent for both years!
    We are contacting our solicitor as we have never heard of this company and it seems odd that we have been paying the ground rent to the person who was the leaseholder (named by the solicitors) when we bought the property.
    Weird. I think they must be con artists as we have been in the property over 2 years and have never heard anything from them. In all the searches etc done when the house was purchased their name never came up - but now they are saying they have owned the leasehold since 2000????

Very odd.... I will repost and let you all know what happens.
  • Freehold Managers are a nightmare. !!!

They are very difficult to get hold of via the telephone - having limited "opening hours", are quick to add charges to invoices unreasonably and are damned rude if you manage to get through to anyone. They also charge way over the odds for things like buildings insurance - and they'll charge a fortune per letter if you contest them with anything.
    They'll also write to everyone, regardless of whether you have a management company or not - and charge everyone for the letters.

I beleive the PO Box and limited opening hours is because they get nothing but grief all day from their "customers", and to prevent them getting physically abused.
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to be clear you can have a chief rent or rent charge on a freehold property - they are quite common in a few parts of the country. They are not to be confused with leasehold ground rents.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • jimc_2
    jimc_2 Posts: 290 Forumite
    you can have a chief rent or rent charge on a freehold property - they are quite common in a few parts of the country.

Chief Rents are common near us in Cheshire/South Manchester. Most people I know just don't bother paying them! I believe they are often sold as a 'job-lot' to other chancers who make a couple of tries to claim back-payments and then give up.

I believe it is possible to remove this anachronism more easily nowadays by making a single relatively modest payment, but how do we go about it?
  • tel number for freehold managers plc po box 2098 is
    020 7940 4760 fax no 020 7940 5674 they are extremely rude and unhelpful. They have just more than doubled my insurance and couldn`t care less- all they say is that the property was previously not covered for enough - tough.
    best of luck
  • I too unfortunately have to deal with Freehold management properties. Just had new buildings insurance in which has gone up. Also threatening paragraph stating if it is not paid within 14 days it will be passed to the legal department for further action Charming
  • mstar
    mstar Posts: 269 Forumite
    freehold managers are notorious for putting up what they see fair increases in insurance. But what makes me mad is their attitude and there lack of understanding of landlord problems.

surely there is a regulation as part of this for dodgy "PO BOX" companies like these?
  • Don't be fooled. Freeholder Managers are nasty, nasty evil people. They do not think like you or I do. The word "sharks" applies. But like all bullies, they back down if you stand up for your legal rights.
  • superfran_uk
    superfran_uk Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a friend who worked for Freehold Managers in London - somewhere near London Bridge? Didn't seem to be a nice company to work for by all accounts...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure