When 1st MOT due on new car

ahll
ahll Posts: 1,506
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,
I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?
"The time is always right to do what is right"

Comments

• goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    ahll wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?
    when did you buy it?
    what year is it?
    when was it first registered?

the car will be due 3 years after date of first registration.
    ...work permit granted!
  • ahll
    Forumite
    Oh it must be due now then but I havn't had a letter or anything !

10 Jan 05
  • goldspanners
    ahll wrote: »
    Oh it must be due now then but I havn't had a letter or anything !

10 Jan 05

you wont get any letter,its only road tax that you get a reminder for.
    as above,its your job to maintain your own car not anyone elses.
    ...work permit granted!
  • goldspanners
    i wouldnt use the car until you get it motd.
    ...work permit granted!
  • tosca5
    tosca5 Posts: 576 Forumite
    I bought a new car in 02 and had it MOT'd the year after and every year since. Look after your car.
  • ahll
    Forumite
    I do look after my car....its a good job I asked
  • Sorry to have to say this but anyone who does not know when and how often an MOT is required should not be driving on our roads.

Like insurance ,an MOT is your responsibility and ignorance is no defence if you are stopped by the police,I assume you have insurance because if you have no MOT and should have one, you could find the insurance is void,not very helpful if you happen to hit another vehicle.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • ahll
    Forumite
    lol if your sorry to say this, then REALLY WHY BOTHER !

I didn't come on here to be insulted I took responsibiltiy by coming here and asking to find out as NO ONE had given me any information about this when I bought the car.

I wonder if you doing this make you sone how feel superior. Maybe its something you want to think about !

My mum would say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all !
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,431
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52
  • ahll wrote: »
    lol if your sorry to say this, then REALLY WHY BOTHER !

I didn't come on here to be insulted I took responsibiltiy by coming here and asking to find out as NO ONE had given me any information about this when I bought the car.

I wonder if you doing this make you sone how feel superior. Maybe its something you want to think about !

My mum would say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all !
    Sorry you feel this way but i still think that to be a motorist you need to invest a bit of time and effort,if i had not said what i said,others reading this,with butterflies in their head,may have been unaware that you need an MOT,TAX,INSURANCE and to have your car serviced on a regular basis.One guy on another forum, thought that as he only did 2k miles a year ,his car would only need servicing every six years.He was serious too!!

I say again,should people like this really be on the road??To me this is having common sense not trying to be superior.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure