Car headlamp bulbs cost double in UK - why?

buglawton
buglawton Posts: 9,235
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
Astonished at the £8 being demanded for H7 branded long life's, e.g. Osram, Philips, Bosch. Got curious and found like for like are exactly half the price if delivered in Germany - in each case by Amazon.

Is there a cartel in operation, or is it just us Brits who are being taken for mugs?

Comments

• Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    Astonished at the £8 being demanded for H7 branded long life's, e.g. Osram, Philips, Bosch. Got curious and found like for like are exactly half the price if delivered in Germany - in each case by Amazon.

Is there a cartel in operation, or is it just us Brits who are being taken for mugs?

69p delivered here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0028SGJ8E/ref=nosim/?!!!!!hotukdeals-21
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Forumite
    Maybe they can see you coming
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Try local motor factors, they tend to have decent brands at reasonable prices.

ALDI/LIDL have headlight bulbs on sale every so often though I've never tried them so can't say how long they'll last or what quality of light beam they produce.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Forumite
    Poundland do a bulb set with at least one headlamp bulb and a load of others for a pound.
  • GolfBravo
    GolfBravo Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    I think the OP is referring to the "top of the line" and standard branded stuff, like Osram Nighbreaker/Ultra Life, etc.

UK is the treasure island and distributors like to charge premium price for these things. Your local motor factor can even charge £29.99 for a set of Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. In Germany these bulbs are not considered "premium" - you just walk into a normal supermarket (eg. Real, they even sell car tyres and batteries) and they have a full range of branded light bulbs, from OEM all the way to +90% type, Philips/Osram/Narva/Bosch/Hella, all for around half the UK recommended retail price. France is similar (eg. Auchan) although not as much choice and more expensive.

My wife really hates it when we go shopping in Germany - she's usually with our kids looking at toys and stationery, and I am at the car accessories isle checking out engine oils/bulbs/car mats/windscreen wash/tyres/extinguishers/chargers/etc. ;)
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 1:46AM
    Paid of OSRAM's £12.62 on UK site or EUR 16.81 on DE site.

Same bulbs in a twin pack so an identical comparison. H7 55w ULTRALIFE.

Curious as to where the cartel is? They dont appear very clever selling them for less.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mkirkby
    mkirkby Posts: 279 Forumite
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    Poundland do a bulb set with at least one headlamp bulb and a load of others for a pound.

Which is good value if you don't mind changing them every 3 months....
  • buglawton
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 12:19PM
    Paid of OSRAM's £12.62 on UK site or EUR 16.81 on DE site.

Same bulbs in a twin pack so an identical comparison. H7 55w ULTRALIFE.

Curious as to where the cartel is? They dont appear very clever selling them for less.

My example is
    EUR 9,98 with EUR 3,27 P&P to UK (£8.11 + £2.65) for a PAIR
    OSRAM 64210L H7 LONGLIFE 12V 55W
    http://www.amazon.de/OSRAM-64210L-LONGLIFE-Kfz-Scheinwerferlampe-Gl%C3%BChlampe/dp/B0043MO6XS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354708819&sr=8-1
    ...and I'm guessing that a German delivery address would be yet cheaper.

re Poundland - did exactly that, got a pair of H7s to try until I can order something decent value for money.
    Now, the £1 pair are plain dim compared to the standard, non-xenon Philips H7s that came with the car. The cheapies will make spares to keep on the boot.

Actually, I'm now tempted to order from Germany.
    before I do, @forgotmyname, did you have a link for the pair of (UK) Osrams you found?
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well this was an illuminating read.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • buglawton
    Forumite
    :):)

Yes, I think I'm beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure