Car insurance claim/privately settle

2»

Comments

• foxyuk
    foxyuk Posts: 966 Forumite
    you can inform your insures only on a basis of information purposes only and they can do the same ... all it does is note it however does not show on any renewals or anything because no actual claim submitted.

id try to get your neighbour to get a pro-forma quote from a garage this will show total price you will be liable for .... rather than seeing £120 labour and parts listed and before you know it you have £700 bill with paint, sundries exras etc
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    foxyuk wrote: »
    you can inform your insures only on a basis of information purposes only and they can do the same ... all it does is note it however does not show on any renewals or anything because no actual claim submitted.

id try to get your neighbour to get a pro-forma quote from a garage this will show total price you will be liable for .... rather than seeing £120 labour and parts listed and before you know it you have £700 bill with paint, sundries exras etc

Not true, I notified my insurer of an 'incident' - no one claimed but it still was on my renewal schedule, and each subsequent insurer I had to inform (for between 3-5 years, depending on insurer)
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Whether you settle privately or not, you still have to inform your insurance company.

Correct.
    newbie007 wrote: »
    As above, but might be cheaper to settle privately, so not losing a fault claim and extras loaded on insurance for 5 years.

Why?

You don't really understand car insurance do you?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i always assumed whether you are the 'victim' or not, since you were involved in an accident your premium will rise.

None of us can say what every insurers pricing model will be in the future.

It's becoming increasingly common to be penalised for claims and this can these days include non-fault claims, even if you car was parked and you weren't even driving.
    The effect is going to depend on a number of other factors - but an important one is how many other claims you've had in the past 3-5 years.
    My own personal experience is that one claim is not too bad, but becoming a serial claimer really starts to put your price up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure