How easy is it to lengthen a wedding dress?

Hi,

I've just been offered my dream wedding dress at a fraction of the price. Only problem is it was made for a lady who's 5ft 4ins without shoes and I'm 5ft 10ins without shoes :(

I'd be saving so much money so would be willing to pay out for alterations but would it even be possible to lengthen a dress? I'd have to fly to Irelend to get it and so don't want to waste time and £ if its something that can't be done.

Here's a link to it (its the last dress AW098) for anyone who can help advise me with this problem :o

http://bridal.amandawakeley.com/rahjastan.html

Thankyou in advance!

Comments

• hayleythedaisy
    hayleythedaisy Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Lovely Linda's your best bet, but it doesn't seem like it would work to me, you'd have to join the fabric somehow which would leave a seam, and might alter the way it hangs
    Bump due 22nd September
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sure Linda will be able to give a more informed reply, but logic tells me that adding length to a dress is tricky. Unless they have a massive hem, I don't know where the extra material would come from!
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Yeah that's whats worrying me :(

I have only seen pictures of it so can't see what excess material there is to let the hem down.

Hopefully Linda will be in contact!
  • lindaatno9
    lindaatno9 Posts: 2,092 Forumite
    No way hosay I'm afraid. You're talking a difference of 7"
    Is it the thought of the AW dress or would you consider made to measure to cut costs?
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    lindaatno9 wrote: »
    No way hosay I'm afraid. You're talking a difference of 7"
    Is it the thought of the AW dress or would you consider made to measure to cut costs?

Thought you might say that :(

I would consider made to measure but have seen a few disasters in the past with friends who have been unhappy with dresses they wanted to have copied and so I'm a bit wary of it.

Its such an unusual shaped dress I'm not sure how easy it would be to make.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    I was going to add length to my old dress, but that was only 2 inches and was going to involve letting out the hem and adding an inch of lace around the bottom. I decided not to do it in the end, firstly because of the cost and secondly because i was worried that the old hem would leave a mark on the fabric due to the crease and dirt/wear (it was 2nd hand) and because the lace bottom might look daft as it was a fairly modern design of dress.

Bought another dress off ebay instead. :-)
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Charliezoo wrote: »
    I would consider made to measure but have seen a few disasters in the past with friends who have been unhappy with dresses they wanted to have copied and so I'm a bit wary of it.

Its such an unusual shaped dress I'm not sure how easy it would be to make.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Charlie - it is possible that friends you have had dresses copied have purchased them from the likes of Landy in China who have a poor reputation. A proper dressmaker who is UK based would be able to replicate it or you could have a dress designed for you would be of more benefit as you can attend fittings. Again Linda is your woman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure