Help! Did anyone buy the Aldi Steam Cleaner ?

Just wondered if anyone else had bought the Aldi Steam Cleaner today, as mine seems to have a design fault or a piece missing ?

The short attachment that connects to the main cleaning brush does not appear to have an insert, so when you connect the main extension pipe to it, there is no proper seal which is causing steam to to escape rather than come out of the brush, making the tubes to hot to touch.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

If they are all like this, then it is either a design fault or production error.

Comments

• scoobie
    scoobie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interested to know the response to this as I was going to get one.

You'll be able to get your money back of course.

Other than that issue does it look like it will do the trick or haven't you been able to try it out at all due to the fault?
  • talkshop
    talkshop Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi scoobie,

I have just quickly been around the house trying out all the other attachments that come with the steam cleaner.

I have steamed a double bed mattress with the small attachment, which you wrap a cotton cloth included around, and is supposed to be good to kill dustmites. It seemed to do this job very well, but if you have continuous steam on you will only get about 2 minutes at full pressure before the thermostat kicks in again and you have to wait 2 minutes to heat up. This is not a problem on small domestic jobs, but could get frustrating if you have a whole 3 bedroom house to clean from scratch. Also cleaned a sofa with same attachment. I noticed this attachment is not very secure in its fitting and can sometimes swivel around, so you have to watch this but otherwise satisfactory.

In the bathroom and kitchen it works very well and I cleaned everything from taps and plug holes, doors and mirrors with the window attachment. There are lots of smaller attachments including one with a little brush, and various others for getting in nooks and crannies.

I already own a Karcher K1102 steam cleaner, which I find is good for floors and carpets. The Aldi cleaner has more steam pressure and seems more portable and has more attachments.

I would say this unit is well worth the £59.99 if the problem with the main cleaning brush head can be resolved, but is still a good unit with the other attachments. I will phone the manufacturer first before I return it to Aldi.
    Hopefully I just have a faulty part.

Does anyone know if I can take this back to any Aldi shop, or does it have to be the one I purchased from ?
  • scoobie
    Talkshop - which part number of the accessories is causing you a problem ? I've just bought one and I will try it out for you
  • talkshop
    talkshop Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    scoobie wrote:
    Talkshop - which part number of the accessories is causing you a problem ? I've just bought one and I will try it out for you

Hi scoobie,

Item 12 (brush connector) in the parts list was the culprit.

I returned the faulty unit for a refund, and purchased another one at my local store :)

The replacement unit does not have the fault of the first one I purchased :)

I checked the part that was previously faulty while still in the car park, and I could immediately see that this one was correct as it should be.

The main large brush now works fine on hard floors without any faults or burning of hands. I was just unlucky to get one with a defective part.

I am happy with the replacement, which as I said before is very good for small cleaning jobs in the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms.

It does not have the steam capacity of a Polti 2400, but it has a good output of steam and is less then quarter of the price :)

Conclusion thumbs Up :)
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is this the £14.99 Steam Cleaner. I bought this a few weeks ago and have not tried it yet, my sister borrowed it to try and she said the tube keeps coming off and the steam escapes which makes it quite dangerous because you could easily be scalded. I will try to find time in the week to try it and see for myself.
  • scoobie
    millie wrote:
    Is this the £14.99 Steam Cleaner. I bought this a few weeks ago and have not tried it yet, my sister borrowed it to try and she said the tube keeps coming off and the steam escapes which makes it quite dangerous because you could easily be scalded. I will try to find time in the week to try it and see for myself.

No its isn't - it was a lot more than that - say £59. They had 2 models in stock a cheap one and a more expensive one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure