PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.

Do you mean a diffuser? I've never seen one with a handle - the ones I've seen are just metal discs that you put under the pan - but it might be the same sort of thing?
  • ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • SDG31000
    SDG31000 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I want to make parkin today and the recipe I have calls for medium oatmeal. Can I use Tesco value porridge oats? Or should I give them a whizz in the food processor to break them up a bit first? Thank you :)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I should think a quick whizz would be fine. He sez. Guessing :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've just bought gingerbread men from a local baker and want to keep them for visitors on Boxing Day. Will this be ok please and if so, what's the best way to store them? (Thinking ahead in case we get snowed in!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
    Thanks Rosie, I wondered about that but they have icing and smartie style sweets on them. They came in one of those paperbags with white paper on one side cellephane on the other. I've folded it over to size and put them into an old ice cream carton. I could put that in the freezer? I was wondering how people who make them for hampers etc manage?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • omnom
    omnom Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2011 at 2:40PM
    Plz help, I'm an absolute moron. I'm making a madeira cake. I was beating the butter and sugar, all good, however I then prematurely added the eggs (from the fridge) after I came in from an errand, I've tried to beat them in but the butter is all clumpy and lumpy and now there are lumps of butter everywhere. Can I save this? Total waste of butter, eggs, etc. otherwise. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edit #1: OK WELL. I decided to risk the microwave and it's not looking too bad (was worried about the eggs). Hopefully it will work out.

Edit #2: Ok well... err... it's not looking so great (why didn't I beat the butter properly, woe!), but you can but try. Not sure why I'm updating this post lol, but yes.

Edit #3: Ok, er. If anyone was wondering how far wrong this experiment could possibly go, I thought I had turned the oven on but the only thing I managed to do is make the kitchen stink of gas. BAD DAY. However, the cake batter looks alright with flour etc. added!
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2011 at 2:26PM
    I think I would try adding the flour as well, since for an all-in-one mix it works. The only difference with those is that you use soft tub marg or very softened butter, but if you're using a mixer it might be ok.
    All-in-ones also usually have a little baking powder added so maybe add some.
    Good luck with it, how annoying.

Oh I was too late!
  • omnom
    omnom Posts: 47 Forumite
    No, you weren't too late! It is looking disastrous! I don't actually have a mixer, only a wooden spoon. I think I'll just add the flour and see what happens haha, I've already used the expensive ingredients so in that respect is it too late to turn back. :( Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure